Neighbors! Grrrrr!

My neighbor, the one with the horrid meat smoker, just yelled at my stepson in front of my daughter for leaving a couple of dead AA batteries on the sidewalk when he put new ones in her bubble machine. I agree that my stepson should have picked up the old batteries and thrown them in the trash, and I told him how it could be dangerous to leave them lying around for someone's pet or kid to find. But the neighbor hates my stepson because he's been in trouble for vandalism a couple of times, and he takes every opportunity to chew the kid out, deserved or not. He's threatening to call the police on my stepson for littering, even though he picked up the batteries already. How would I find out if he can get anywhere with this? Surely the police wouldn't bother with something so petty, would they?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 6:47 PM on Jul. 19, 2013 in General Parenting

• He can call, but I don't see it going anywhere. #1, there's no proof that your son left batteries on the sidewalk. He picked them up, they're gone, so no one can prove he left them there. #2, even if they were still there, again, no proof. Yes, you all would probably be honest and admit that he did leave them there, but there's no proof he did it, and the police wouldn't waste time trying to investigate that. #3, it's such a stupid, petty thing that I seriously doubt the cops would even come out for that. In fact, he'd probably be told that it's a waste of resources and he should knock it off.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:23 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• I agree,let him call the cops. The cops might chew his ass out for the frivolous call. That is one of the dumbest thing I've heard. Ohh batteries on the sidewalk,it's such an emergency situation. eyeroll

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:15 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• Do you live in the ghetto? You have more issues with neighbors then anyone I've ever met before.

I'd tell him to shove it
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 6:51 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• Neighbor is just being an ass. Tell him to shut the F up.

Answer by louise2 at 7:07 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• The police have better things to do. Don't worry about it. Unless of course you live in the same neighborhood where watermelon rinds will bring a hefty fine! lol :p (ref. to yesterday's post)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:13 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• I doubt seriously that the police would waste their time on something like this.

As an aside, what happened that made so many of your neighbors believe you have trouble parenting your child? Was there some sort of event or is it simple sort of mass discrimination? Is there any way you could reach out to them and do some education? I ask because I don't know that I could live for any length of time in a place where there was that kind of animosity.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:46 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• If he wants to call the police than he can call the police. If they show up just tell them he left the batteries on the ground, he was reminded to pick them up and everyone is over it but the neighbor. Than remind your stepson to try and not do anything that would give too much attention to the neighbor.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:12 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• I'd tell him to call. Police will quickly see he is a nuisance.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 7:35 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• Batteries don't go in the regular trash. They are hazardous and need to be disposed of more carefully. Your neighbor is an ass.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 7:40 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• I'm sorry but if my neighbor yells at my kids he will need to call the cops cause he will have to answer to me. NOBODY YELLS AT MY KIDS BUT ME!!!!!!!
    betty70

Answer by betty70 at 7:24 PM on Jul. 19, 2013