Dont you just love hand me downs?

so my middle one is a lot bigger at 4 1/2 than my oldest was at that age. because of this i had to go looking through my oldest's hand me downs for size 5 clothing, and she made out like a bandit! 12 new shirts, some new skirts and a couple pairs of pajamas for *free*! :) of course my oldest has WAY more clothes than that but the rest of the selection is winter clothing and sadly she can still fit into size 5 so i have to be selective about what i hand down since she can wear a lot of it.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 7:48 PM on Jul. 19, 2013 in General Parenting

• Oh gosh yes! With my boys being 1 1/2 yrs apart, I lucked out by having hand-me-downs from friends. When my boys got bigger, I passed things along to my friend whose boys were younger. I now pass my dau's hand-me-downs to 3 different little girls in our family. Gotta keep the cycle going :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:53 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• i use to give my youngest's clothes away (well except for the pieces i was emotionally attached to and keep in a box lol) but when i had my garage sale in may i had sooo many people asking if i had any clothes, so now i save them all so i can sell them at the next one :) most of them, even after going through 3 kids, are still in great shape!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 8:11 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• Yes, but since all three boys are approximately the same size there's nothing to hand down.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:16 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• It hasn't worked it the greatest here (my 3rd girl has been short and stout at the ages my older two were sticks), but I sure love the idea!
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 8:47 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• Yes I do!! My niece is one year ahead of my youngest, so we get all of her clothes. I don't have anyone else to pass them on to, so I sell them in a consignment store and give my brother half of the proceeds. I also try to give them gift certificates for their favorite stores to shop for my niece in. It's a good investment for me, lol!
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:15 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• My boys are too far apart for the hand me downs to work, and my nephew, even though he is 2 years younger than my son, they still wear the same size clothes, so we hand things down to him, but sometimes they just don't fit him.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:50 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• I love them. My daughter has an older cousin whose mom gave me everything from newborn to toddler sizes at my baby shower, and I've really had to buy very few clothes for the last five years. There's no one in the family who needs the clothes, but a friend of mine's niece has a little girl two years younger, so she ends up with most of the stuff my daughter outgrows.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:50 AM on Jul. 20, 2013