Have you ever had medical,or other professional, make assumptions about your special needs kid?

my son has moderate autism
6 years ago,when he was 6,he had to have an EEG. The attending nurse asked us what his savant skill was,and when I gave her a disapproving look and told her none,that not all autistic kids are savant,she was amazed
My son was in the hospital last night for observation. He had an endoscopy,and during the procedure,he aspirated some saliva into his lungs. The nurse came in at 4 am,and asked me when he was changed last. I groggily asked her "Changed? Changed what?" She was referring to diapers. I told her he was 12,he didn't wear diapers,and she said,"Oh,I assumed that he did. He IS autistic,right?"

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 8:48 PM on Jul. 19, 2013 in Special Needs

• Wow! You'd think MEDICAL professionals would know better! How sad.
    The only time I had a problem was with an emergency room Dr. who didn't get that he needed to rephrase his questions for my son. I finally had to get in his face a bit and tell him how it needed to be done. Then I did the asking. The guy was clueless.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:54 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• I'd make a complaint about that. I work in healthcare and if a floor nurse made it clear that she had no idea about the status of a child under her care (with regard to toileting, etc) I'd consider that a safety event. It's absurd
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:58 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• What the hell is WRONG with these people?!?!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:59 AM on Jul. 20, 2013

• That's crazy, but not surprising to me. Ignorance is everywhere. I haven't had an incident with my stepson because his disabilities aren't all that visible to a casual observer, but I've had plenty of asumptions made about me. Because I'm blind, people have assumed I must be deaf or mentally challenged as well. They have assumed that I must have a visiting nurse who comes in and cooks for me and helps me get dressed. They have assumed that I can't have a checking account or give legal consent for my daughter to get medical treatment. One of the funniest conversations was with a woman on a public bus who, when she found out the little girl with me was my daughter, said, "Well, but you're blind. You can't ... I didn't think you could ... you wouldn't be able to have sex, right?" I told her that when it came right down to the moment of truth, a person's eyes didn't really play a big part in the operation.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:28 AM on Jul. 20, 2013

• Yes,many professionals assume Thor cannot hear because he does not speak. We also have had the assumption he does not understand what we are saying. He is severly brain damaged from multiple strokes
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 9:46 PM on Jul. 20, 2013

• Yes, my doc assumes since I am bipolar, I more prone to drug addiction. Although I am not sure if BP falls under special needs..
    But I also get a mom or 2 telling me "my BP is showing again": because they do not like a post I wrote..
    But that nurse OP needs to go to "empathy class 101"..What a bitch..
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 6:50 PM on Jul. 21, 2013