Welcoming baby #2

What was your biggest challenge when your brought home baby #2? I know its completely normal but a little nervous about how to keep my 3 year old feeling he's just as special as the new baby. Thanks :)

AllyBM

Asked by AllyBM at 9:05 PM on Jul. 19, 2013 in Pregnancy

• My oldest son turned 3 a week before my youngest son was born. For me, the hardest thing was feeling like I was neglecting my 3 year old, even though I wasn't. Newborns just need so much, every minute of the day. Every time I would sit down to nurse, my oldest suddenly needed me. I felt terrible about it. Once we all adjusted, everything became much easier. The first month or so was rough though.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:21 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• the biggest chalange for me still is to balance the appreciation and the scalding when it comes to arguments between the two of them. they're 2.5 and 4.5yo now. i love them both equally but different.
    kujus04

Answer by kujus04 at 9:22 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• Finding time to spend with the older child my DS & I went out to the movies,dinner,ice cream,park and we still had our reading time together.Even 2 days after my DD was born I took my DS to a robotic dinosaur show leaky boob and all it was awesome and he still talks about seeing the dinosaurs even though he is now 8yo. :)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 8:34 AM on Jul. 20, 2013

• My daughter was fine with it. She would help me take care of him by bringing me a diaper when he needed changed and fed him a bottle when I had breastfeeding issues. Just make sure you have some time set aside where it just you and him. I took DD out to a movie while dad stayed with the baby. We would play games when the baby napped. Sooner or later everything will just fall back into place. Enjoy them both and take care.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:32 PM on Jul. 20, 2013