Glasses

I saw a post about someone getting their new glasses. I keep seeing these fliers around about appointments and glasses etc. and, I really need them for night driving and glare.. My eyes are getting worse as well, but not to the point where I can't do things.. I have never known anyone to have their eyes sight corrected from them, but at least they can SEE!

I was wondering what a good "deal" on them would be. The average appointment cost and prescription cost. I know the price depends on the frame, but any help would be GREAT! I would like to know what i'm reading at a distance, especially when driving.. Rain and snow affect me as well.. If it's anything but a clear and sunny day, things become blurry-if it's printed.!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on Jul. 19, 2013 in Health

• Our family gets our glasses from zennioptical.com. They are average quality at below average prices- $15-40 a pair. You do need to see a doc to get your prescription first though.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:26 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• It really depends on your prescription, and if you go to a place with a deal you have to stick to certain frames or pay a little more to upgrade to a better frame or tinted lenses. I recently had a full eye exam, and got two pairs of no line bifocals (a more expensive prescription) for just under $500.00.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 10:27 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• Lots of places give deals. UI can not advise you because I have trifocals and I would assume you would not need anything like that. Single is one price, bi is another , tri is another
    You can get them non glare, light adjusting, scratch resistant, light weight etc. It will depend on what you need.
    Frames can be pain and simple and they can be designer.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:29 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• My dd's last pair cost just under $300 total for single vision lenses and frames

Answer by missanc at 10:55 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• So, I should probably have 500 on my just in case. And no, I can read fine so I don't need bi or tri. Just single. Pref. with glare because that bothers me a lot, not too interested in the tinting, although, how affective do you guys think they are? Scratch resistant because the last pare I had got pretty bad. but, that cost covers the visit itself as well? Starting to be thankful that i'm the only one in the house that needs them.. Although, I wish I had my last pair.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:10 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• I think you should consider getting a pair of prescription sunglasses for driving, especially because so many chains offer good deals on two pair. I bet you will be fine with 500 in your pocket, especially for single lenses. Just stick to the frames they offer in the deal, lol. Those designer ones get pricey quick. :)
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 11:21 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• You can always go for the exam and get your prescription have them measure the distance between your pupils as well and then go on zenni to get your glasses at a much cheaper cost then in office.

Mine were $14 I think on zenni. Singles are much easier to get online because they are hard to screw up lol

I know have bifocals and had insurance so I got them in office. But without insurance the glasses alone would have been $300 I paid around $40.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:41 PM on Jul. 19, 2013

• You can also go into a place like lens crafters and see the sort of styles they have and order them online. Then go in and have the glasses adjusted for you.
    I would also suggest the two for one deal.
    I do have the light adjustable one and I have to have the featherweights or they would be too heavy. lol
    I do not know what my doctor charged to be honest but I also have to have tested for glaucoma and macular degeneration, buth run in my family. My insurance paid most of the doctor.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:32 AM on Jul. 20, 2013

• I know you'll laugh, but the BEST, most thorough eye exam I ever had was at Walmart. I think because they are such a large corporation they are extra careful (lawsuits, etc).
    Anyway, everything was inexpensive- glasses and contacts.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 3:13 AM on Jul. 20, 2013

• It depends on where you go. I paid $500 just for two pairs of glasses (one regular, one sunglass) at Lenscrafters, plus another $80 for my exam. Now I've gotten glasses for me and both my kids at Zenni for less than $70. The ones from Zenni are just as good as the ones I've gotten from anywhere else, maybe even better in some ways.

I will caution you on one thing: I paid for the anti-glare coating at Lenscrafters. Within a month, it started peeling off. But it wouldn't peel all the way off and there was no way to pick at it and peel it the rest of the way off, so the spot right in front of my eye where there was some coating and no coating constantly looked like a smudge that I couldn't get rid of. Very annoying. I would skip the anti-glare and just get some sunglasses for outside/driving, and another pair for inside.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:51 AM on Jul. 20, 2013