Where could he live?

I don't know why I was thinking about this, because it will be 3 years before he even needs to think about this, but I got to wondering where my son could live when he is on his own. Here's the problem, be plans to become a professional saxophone player. He practices at least 2 hours a day. He would also need to teach privately to have any hope of making any money. Would he be able to do this in an apartment? The saxophone is a loud instrument. If he was in a townhouse, he would have rooms that don't share a wall with another place, but they are still close together. Would that work? Would you have problems living near someone who played a loud instrument for hours? What would you suggest?

musicmaker

Asked by musicmaker at 1:41 AM on Jul. 20, 2013 in Adult Children (18+)

• I don't think he'd be able to get away with it in an apartment. A townhouse or condo would maybe work - he could try for an end unit, and maybe one that's near the entrance or trees or something where there would either be other noise to cover it a bit (traffic sounds) or no people to be bothered.

More than likely, I'd say a house would be his best option. In a house, even if it does bother his neighbors, I'd guess that unless he does it after a certain time of night or before a certain time in the morning, there wouldn't be much they could do about it - if it's in his house, he can do as he wishes.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:40 AM on Jul. 20, 2013

• Most music stores rent out soundproof rooms to instructors for teaching lessons. He could also play different venues and events, etc.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:07 AM on Jul. 20, 2013

• Some people have houses with garages detached from the house converted into apartments for rent. This may work for him.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:29 AM on Jul. 20, 2013

• Can he create a studio in your home & have teaching classes there? If you live in a suburban community then I bet a lot of Parents would love to send there kids close to home for lessons.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:16 AM on Jul. 20, 2013

• Sounds like he needs to rent an apartment over someone's garage or a small guesthouse that is away from main house.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 11:35 PM on Jul. 20, 2013

• I'm not sure he could afford to rent a room for several hours everyday. He plans to play professionally, but he also needs to practice.
    musicmaker

Comment by musicmaker (original poster) at 2:15 AM on Jul. 20, 2013

• If he looks for a townhouse unit that shared as few walls as possible, such as an end unit, he might manage to get away with insulating a room. If he buys the home, he can have a room professionally soundproofed. The poor man's way of doing it involves covering the walls with empty egg cartons and then hanging blankets, carpets, tapestries, or curtains over them. It works well, but it's a big undertaking. As a townhouse owner, I wouldn't appreciate hearing a sax for hours every day, even if my neighbor was a truly great player.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:45 AM on Jul. 20, 2013

• He could do housecalls.

It's not nearly as loud as the drums. I have two drummers here, and there are ways around it.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 3:16 AM on Jul. 20, 2013

• Mobile home in country maybe.
    morebee7

Answer by morebee7 at 3:18 AM on Jul. 20, 2013

• their*
    ILovemyPaulie