Do any of you have a child like this?

so ive been sending my middle daughter (4 1/2) to preschool 2 days a week because when the school year starts, she's going to a free pre-k program we have around here that runs with the school year and prepares them for kindergarten. its only 3 hours a day but its a really good program. i knew she'd need to get use to the environment because she is super clingy, attached and socially anxious. she's been going since april and i have seen a *tad* bit of improvement. now she'll only cry as soon as i leave the room rather than as soon as she wakes up, all through breakfast, the carride and dropping her off.

anyway, her teacher told me to practice writing with her at home because when she starts pre-k they'll be practicing their names and she won't write her name at school. the funny thing is, she CAN write her name. she does it all the time at home. and it's pretty amazing because her name has 8 letters.

i told her teacher this and she believes that over time she'll become more comfortable doing it at school. i really hope so because this is just crazy. i don't understand why she won't do it there. when i asked her she lied to me and told me she did write her name.

i'm not going to push it, for now, i just hope when pre-k starts that she'll come around. but she's been able to write her own name for a year now.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 9:26 AM on Jul. 20, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have you tried bribing her?
    Don't know how you feel about it...
    i.e. Go 2 days without crying you will get this
    Write your name for the teacher x number of times you will get this
    even if it's a sticker.

or you could buy her one of those fancy pencils little girls like and tell her it's only for writing her name (or whatever else the teacher wants her to do).
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:06 AM on Jul. 20, 2013

• My dd is opposite, she will write her name at school at home it's a no go.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 9:30 AM on Jul. 20, 2013

• I have worked at a Pre K for 15 years and you are not alone. :) Just concentrate on the positives! Concentrate on what she likes about school. She might adjust better at the start of a new school year when everyone else is new and learning the rules and she'll see other kids are not completely comfortable either. At some point, you can suggest that she write her name and give it a friend, so her friend can learn her name too. Just an idea. Good luck!!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 9:40 AM on Jul. 20, 2013

• I think all this is an indication that she is not yet ready to be away from her mommy. Not all little kids are ready for school and formal education at 3 and 4. Mine weren't. I don't understand the hurrying. Babies need to be babies until they are comfortable being more grown-up. Trying to force them to act bigger when they aren't ready seems cruel to me. Years ago, some children were not ready to start school even at 6, and their parents kept them home another year, and then they did fine. Even in the same family, children are not always ready to do things at the same age. I think your little girl is trying to tell you she is not ready.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:39 AM on Jul. 20, 2013

• My son was the opposite too. He wouldn't do it at home, but he'd come home from school with his name written on papers and for months I thought someone was assisting him. But nope, he'd just act like he couldn't do it at home when I asked.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 11:42 AM on Jul. 20, 2013

• i like the reward system, ill have to start trying that. thanks :)
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 12:19 PM on Jul. 20, 2013

• Kids are so funny. Mine will write her name at home, but at school she pretends she can't do it by herself. I think she's figured out that she gets extra attention from the teacher if she needs help, but if she can write independently, she's expected to do it on her own.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:00 PM on Jul. 20, 2013

• maybe rewarding her when she does write it, then tell her that when she writes her name in class, she gets rewarded with stickers or something, so she sees that it is good to show her teachers she can write her name:)
    magacuna1019

Answer by magacuna1019 at 10:55 AM on Jul. 25, 2013