Did I do the right thing?

My 15 yo dd had a friend over for the weekend and she was showing off and talking disrespectful to me and sassing. I later overheard her telling her friend how she doesn't like living here that we have too many rules and she should run away. Her friend was bad mouthing her mom and her grandma. I confronted them on this and my dd said I shouldn't have been eavesdropping (which I wasn't I had just come up from downstairs and heard something bad and just stayed to hear more. I took the girl home early as I really didn't want to continue to entertain them knowing what I knew. Was I wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Jul. 20, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• Nope, my son did that once. I called his friends parents & he was out the door in ten minutes.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 10:47 AM on Jul. 20, 2013

• I don't think it was wrong. I prob would have done the same thing. but I also know that teenagers can't help but dislike their caretakers whether it be mom and dad or grandma and grandpa. At this age they are wanting to be a grownup and set their own rules so the age really sucks for every one all around.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:48 AM on Jul. 20, 2013

• No, you did the right thing. Hope you informed your child. No more sleep overs.

Answer by louise2 at 10:50 AM on Jul. 20, 2013

• I don't know, I think I would have let it be, but after the other girl went home, I would be talking to my daughter about it. Remind her of those who have it much worse and ask her WHY she thinks she has it SO bad.

Teenagers need to vent, and like to talk...so I would have let it be *at that moment
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:52 AM on Jul. 20, 2013

• I would have let her stay but later talked to her Mother about what happened. Everyone can talk about what has happened, why rules are in place in homes what rules later mean to us in life as adults (we have them too) etc.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:56 AM on Jul. 20, 2013

• "Too many rules? How do you like this one? No more sleepovers until you learn to be respectful of your parents."
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:10 AM on Jul. 20, 2013

• You did the right thing. When our children were teens, one of them was talked into running away from home during a very similar incident. We didn't know where he was for several hours. You cannot be too vigilant during these all important teen years. I, too, would tell her she would not be socializing for quite some time, and you can use my experience as an example!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:32 AM on Jul. 20, 2013

• if a friend told my kiddo to run away.... that friend would be a school only friend from that point. your relationship is too important for jealous drama.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:55 AM on Jul. 20, 2013

• No, you weren't wrong.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:34 PM on Jul. 20, 2013

• I think you did the right thing. You showed your daughter that she still has to respect you and the boundaries in your home. She'll be mad at you for a while, but in the long run, I think you sent her a good message.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:32 PM on Jul. 20, 2013