Did your OB/GYN ever do this?

Ok my dd is pregnant and she is due March 12. Last month they said she had high blood pressure and to watch it or she would have the baby early. They also sent her to another u/s bc the dr is saying the baby is very big. The u/s tech said the baby is measuring small not big. My dd went back to the dr today and again he says the baby is measuring big and he is sending her AGAIN to another u/s claiming the tech must have been wrong and then he would see about inducing her early (March 4-5). This is my dds second baby and shes smaller then with the first baby. It seems this dr just wants to induce her early. Did anyone else have this happen to them? As it is she islikely going to be induced at 39 weeks with no health complications & the dr is even saying maybe he will give her a csection if the baby is over 8.5 lbs.

Asked by gemgem at 2:30 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• She does have the right to refuse any medical treatment, and I think its ridiculous that he would want to do an unnecessary c-section. Tell her to refuse it all if she is not comfortable with it, especially the c-section unless it is in the case of emergency, not just convince for the doctor.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:33 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• just tell her to refuse the other u/s if she has to pay for it.. and tell her to refuse being induced if she doesn'tt hink shes that big
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 2:31 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• No, it doesn't seem right.

I had high bp 140s/90s and I was allowed to labor-this was my first. I did end up with an emergency section.

Is there anyway you can find out his induction rates?
    Anonymous

• Sounds like he likes to do things on his schedule.
    Anonymous

• Seek a 2nd opinion, some Doctors are more interventioness than others. Ask for a pernatalogidst to resolve the discrepancy between the Dr. and Ultrasound.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 2:32 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I can try and find out his rates. She went to this same dr with her first baby and he waited until she was 10 days late to induce and now seems eager to get the 2nd baby out. I am trying to calm my dd down because shes just confused on what to do about it. I will see about a pernatalogist (never heard of that lol) and maybe they can help a bit. It just feels so roller coasterish this time around like he doesnt know what he wants to do. Her blood pressure is fine now and was only high the one time.

Answer by gemgem at 2:35 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• If you seek a 2nd opinion and her current doctor is induce happy, I would switch for the actual birth if possible. If he's induce happy he'll find a way to induce her when she's in labor.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:37 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Sounds like her doc really likes her insurance.
    Anonymous

• Reading your question led me to think twice about the dr.'s motives..??  I think the 2nd ultra sound would be helpful.  Just to get the absolute answer. She can refuse being induced if she gets the same results. Then there should be no need to have the baby early.  Plus there are plenty of mothers who have given birth to larger babies then 8.5lbs.  There seems to be something missing to this picture.

Anonymous