What DO you believe?

Instead of allowing someone to just assume your affiliation, why not share it here?

If you want, you can give your "faith of origin" (what you were raised as) and what other stops have you taken along the way.

What is one thing about your beliefs you would like others to keep in mind, when conversing with you here in the section?

bandgeek521

Asked by bandgeek521 at 4:31 PM on Jul. 20, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• I was raised in an Independent Baptist Church (protestant Christian). What they taught me in History and Science class just didn't match up to what I was being told at church. I also couldn't believe in a god who would let kids have cancer, or mothers miscarry. I believe in a moral code, and karma.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 4:41 PM on Jul. 20, 2013

• I was raised in a Christian family, but I have always been an atheist.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:42 PM on Jul. 20, 2013

• I am Jewish- but I think everyone knew that. At least anyone who cares.
    I am also a semi kosher (haven't had a pork or pork by product in 20+ ears) secular Jew who is "of the world".

One thing?
    I believe God knows what is in my heart and don't give a crap what the neighbors think. Because they are assuming I should behave in a certain way based on their expectations. Not on the expectations of God based on my understanding of God (which God gave me).
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 4:49 PM on Jul. 20, 2013

• Raised Christian and now Agnostic/Atheist. My beliefs remain open to change when new evidence presents itself.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 4:51 PM on Jul. 20, 2013

• I believe that I simply do not know the answers and I hope that one day we all (society) will know them. Realistically, I lean more towards Atheism. But, I've had odd experiences in my life, like I swear I've seen a ghost before, known someone who could astro-project (they actually came to me) & have felt like I've "known" people before. So that leads me down a new-age like spiritual path. But, I believe that one day scientists will be able to explain such phenomenon. Like maybe it all has to do with different dimensions/string-theory type stuff. Maybe some can see what's on a plane closest to us, while most can not. And, since we are basically all star-dust maybe we do, in a way, carry the knowledge of the universe inside us and, perhaps "reincarnate" in some kind of form.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 4:54 PM on Jul. 20, 2013

• Raised Methodist and then converted to Catholicism when I married. I left all organized religion years ago and gravitated to Buddhism starting a few years back. I'm not a good Buddhist, but I'm trying to be better lol
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 4:54 PM on Jul. 20, 2013

• Oh, sorry. For the rest of the question.

I think I'd like people to keep in mind the basic teachings of Buddhism but there is really nothing major that I think people have be wary of when discussing religion in a thread that I'm participating in.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 4:56 PM on Jul. 20, 2013

• I'll give a quick rundown, lol:
    Baptized Catholic at 4 ---> Church of God when my mom re-married at 7 ----> Methodist the rest of my childhood

Raised to question for myself and really do the work on my own to see which doctrines and so forth held weight. Taught to respect other religions and denominations/interpretations. Had a few religious based classes (in high school and college), and still constantly study my own faith (which is Christian Universalism) and the faiths of others. Currently retain membership at my Methodist church, in my old town, but attend the Unitarian Universalist meetings in my current town.

My beliefs revolve around the *message* of Jesus - love, compassion, the way we are to live in this world and the idea of the "kingdom of God" as something we can participate in here and now. I have humanistic, Deistic, and syncretic elements in my personal faith, but still strongly rooted in the person of Christ.
    bandgeek521

Comment by bandgeek521 (original poster) at 4:59 PM on Jul. 20, 2013

• Well that's a rather long list so instead of listing all the things I do believe, I will go into what I don't believe or rather the religious classification.

I am an Atheist- meaning "without gods" or "absent of gods" from the literal translation of the greek a-meaning without and theos- meaning gods or deities. I see religions as having expanded from philosophical origins which have been mistranslated, misinterpreted, and ultimately misrepresented (both intentionally and unintentionally) throughout the ages to evolve into the differing religions or beliefs we have now.

That does not mean I view religions negatively however, nor does it mean I "hate god". Rather I see "god" as an idea which was meant to help explain a philosophical concept not as a being that was anthropomorphized by man for their own gain or purpose.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:01 PM on Jul. 20, 2013

• "Raised to question for myself and really do the work on my own to see which doctrines and so forth held weight."

Then you had GREAT parents/role models.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 5:01 PM on Jul. 20, 2013