Anyone eles .....

tried of hearing about the Zimmerman case? I just tried of all the hate. Me and my 20 month old was going to the store and a black man came up to me and said I have a ice tea are you going to shot me? I mean really when does all the hate just stop. I mean every since the night of the verdict I hear gun shots every night. I just think everyone needs to get along.

tigger3itch

Asked by tigger3itch at 4:31 PM on Jul. 20, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I do not understand the way people act. I do see that the media and the government are very happy with the tension that is building.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:35 PM on Jul. 20, 2013

• I think people on both sides have carried it way too far, and it's likely that more people will get hurt because of it.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:37 PM on Jul. 20, 2013

• Where do you live?
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:38 PM on Jul. 20, 2013

• new Orleans.......
    tigger3itch

Comment by tigger3itch (original poster) at 4:39 PM on Jul. 20, 2013

• I am so disappointed with President Obama right now because he had a chance to say something that would have encouraged unity and healing for the nation and instead, he focused on the history of racism and how black people in this country view everything through that lens. Words like that stir up hate instead of calming it dow.

Be safe, please.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:20 PM on Jul. 20, 2013

• I remember back when JFK was running for president and everyone was worried that a Catholic would divide the country and take orders from the Vatican.
    He made it clear that if he were elected he was here for ALL Americans.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:30 PM on Jul. 20, 2013

• I thought Obama's speech was spot on. I keep hearing about it, about how it was divisive and how it stirred up hate and I just don't see it. He called out black people, he called out white people. Just because you don't like the truth of the statement doesn't make it less accurate or timely.

OP, sorry for that commentary. I'm sorry you experienced that. Ignorance can be found at every turn, by every human who occupies this planet
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 5:36 PM on Jul. 20, 2013

• I am disappointed that some people in what are traditionally thought of as leadership roles are failing to quell the anger and use strategy to unite the public instead of stoking the anger. I get that there are a lot of people that don't understand how a not guilty verdict was reached and why, and failing to explain this to the people is just helping fuel the fire.

I'm sick of people making this a political or race issue.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:55 PM on Jul. 20, 2013

• Yes, I'm tired of it, too. The jury made its decision. Just because the "game" didn't go the way you wanted it to go doesn't mean it wasn't "played" by the rules.

Yes, it was a very bad thing that happened. Yes, someone is dead, and that is very sad. Someone's else's life has been ruined, too. But I'm having a hard time getting worked up over one black young man who died 17 months ago when black people are dropping like flies not 30 minutes from my suburb. Where is the correct lens for that? Where is the "right" set of experiences for us to get worked up enough to make people stop killing people in the streets?

It pains me that certain people care only if it helps further their agenda. Bettering the lives of others is not their goal. If it were, they would be fighting for the inner cities, not just the random acts that they can twist into racism and hatred.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 10:29 PM on Jul. 20, 2013

• When Obama said..."reconsider legislation like "stand your ground" which encouraged the confrontation. "
    SYG DOES NOT encourage confrontation!! I answered another SYG issue that SYG laws mean if a person is justified in using deadly force in certain situations, without having to retreat. The SYG law can be a defense or immunity to criminal charges and civil suit. The difference between immunity and a defense is that an immunity bars suit, charges, detention and arrest. A defense, such as an affirmative defense, permits a plaintiff or the state to seek civil damages or a criminal conviction but may offer mitigating circumstances that justify the accused's conduct. It also governs U.S. federal case law in which right of self-defense is asserted against a charge of criminal homicide.
    It can suck if a person kills someone, like in a home invasion, and have the victim's family come back and sue you for wrongful death.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 9:21 PM on Jul. 21, 2013