Gnats

HELLO EVERYONE Q. how do you get gnats out your house? I have no pets, keep my garbage disposal cleaned, I try not to by fruit unless we are gonna eat them in a few days I have. house plants but the nets are in the kitchen I keep it dry, clean down every day with blench. nothing seems to work! even had a company come out and spray the whole house.

THANKS

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:17 PM on Jul. 20, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Gnats you mean?

Sometimes they peak in the summer and then sort of just disappear as the weather cools. I got rid of mine a few years ago by putting Borax down the drains and letting it sit over night, then flushed them with boiling water. Spraying isn't going to help in the long term, I've discovered.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:20 PM on Jul. 20, 2013

• gnats? From your drains maybe.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:20 PM on Jul. 20, 2013

• I have Gnats around my house plants only.

Answer by louise2 at 6:31 PM on Jul. 20, 2013

• Gnats? Or are they fruit flies? Hard to get rid of fruit flies this time of year. But you can make a trap: Put a piece of sweet fruit in the bottom of a quart jar, cover the fruit with cider vinegar. Then make a funnel out of a sheet of paper(cone-shape it from corner to corner). Stick it in the jar. The fruit flies will fly into the jar, and they can't get out. It works! I kept one on my counter all last summer.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:37 PM on Jul. 20, 2013

• I had gnats in a bathroom drain not long ago, and someone on this site--Dardenela, I think it was--told me to try vinegar and baking soda down the drain. It fizzed up a lot, and I've had no more gnat trouble.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:45 PM on Jul. 20, 2013

• hummingbirds will quick work of them so nice to have them out side to do so
    by2013

Answer by by2013 at 7:49 PM on Jul. 20, 2013

• Mix apple cider vinegar with a couple drops of dish soap. Leave about 1/2 cup in the bottom of a glass overnight for several days. I did the funnel for a day of two but then realized it didn't help - open glass will work. I left out 2 glasses out in my small kitchen and I hung a sticky fly strip from the ceiling over my sink.

Answer by missanc at 10:30 PM on Jul. 20, 2013

• Apple cider vinegar works and also the sticky strips.
    morebee7

Answer by morebee7 at 4:54 AM on Jul. 21, 2013