why do people cut off a dog's tail

I thought it was because the blood doesn't get that far and it would need to be amputated any way so they do it when they are young so it doesn't hurt as much but now I'm not sure.

kat1225

Asked by kat1225 at 9:14 PM on Jul. 20, 2013 in Pets

• cosmetic

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:17 PM on Jul. 20, 2013

• It's about looks. I think a lot of the old fighting/hunting breeds had tails docked because of things like hunting bears/wolves etc and the tails were a liability that could get the dog hurt and it became a breed standard. Now it is just for looks. We had a Rottweiler and Boxer with their tails intact
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:30 PM on Jul. 20, 2013

• Same reason as chopping off ears. It may be breed standard, but I still consider it cruel. I see it as more of a gray area if you're planning on showing the animal, but if it's just meant as a pet it's pointless.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:32 PM on Jul. 20, 2013

• It is mainly for looks these days but some breeds still do the jobs they were bred for. Some of the puppies in these breeds are actually born without tails. But most still get docked. I did have an Australian shepherd with a tail.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:32 PM on Jul. 20, 2013

• Same reason they do the ears, looks. It has nothing to do with anything medical. It's stupid IMO...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:31 PM on Jul. 20, 2013

• My dog is a pit/boxer mix. She was used as bait for dog fighting. Her ears and tail were purposely left long so dogs could learn to grab a hold of them. :(
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:41 AM on Jul. 21, 2013

• I got my dog when she was 9 months old. Shes a mastiff....which means a really big tail! They docked her tail...im guessing it had more to do with making life easier for them. Im sure if it wasn't docked, shed be whipping people and knocking stuff over all the time.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 2:50 AM on Jul. 21, 2013

• Don't know of one logical reason.
    morebee7

Answer by morebee7 at 5:29 AM on Jul. 21, 2013

• I had a pit bull that we got as a puppy. When the vet was trying to convince me to dock his tail and do his ears, I asked her to tell me why I should do it. Her response was, "Well....it's just...it's what's done." I was like, "Okay, but why?" She couldn't answer me. I told her that unless she could give me a good reason as to why I needed to cause my dog this pain, I wasn't doing it. She had nothing other than that it's just "what's done."
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:09 AM on Jul. 21, 2013

• cosmetic
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:31 PM on Jul. 21, 2013