Why do some really short people feel self conscious?

Im 5'6 and my friend is 4'11 she's always talking about how she wishes she was taller(she is short) Im happy where I am at. I try to tell her at least you can wear all the tallest heels she wants, she's like yeah I know but I still wish I wasn't this short. I think she stopped growing when she was 12. But looks womanly and very pretty.

What would you say or do to comfort her?

Thx!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Jul. 21, 2013 in Just for Fun

• My best friend is 4'7 and cute as a button!
    She would give anything to be taller, but I tell her all her attributes and she just smiles, lol
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:46 AM on Jul. 21, 2013

• I'm five one if I tiptoe a little. I don't mind being short except I get tired of hearing about it. My boyfriend is over six two, and I can't count the times we've gotten Mutt and Jeff jokes. Plus, sometimes it's hard to find clothes that fit right.

Just tell your friend that good things come in small packages.

Or play her "Short People Got No Reason to Live" by Randy Newman and both of you can smile about it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:56 AM on Jul. 21, 2013

• Tall people feel self conscious. Fat people feel self conscious. Skinny people feel self conscious. Girls with big boobs feel self conscious. Girls with small boobs feel self conscious....

Are you picking up what I'm throwing down yet???
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:46 AM on Jul. 21, 2013

• PGA has hit it on the head. Everyone has something about themselves that they aren't happy with, some people are just more vocal about it. I am 4'8", so I know a lot about being short. As Ballad said, I am tired about hearing about it, but I wouldn't change it except when I can't reach things, lol.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 5:57 AM on Jul. 21, 2013

• Why do you assume she's self-conscious?

I'm short, and I often say I wish I was taller. It has nothing to do with being self-conscious and everything to do with wanting to be able to reach stuff on high shelves, being able to see over the steering wheel more easily, or having a few more years before my kid is taller than me (he's got maybe one inch left to go before he's my height!).

And even if you're right and she is self-conscious, why is it your job to try to make her feel better? She needs to find confidence and happiness in herself, no one else can do it for her.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:54 AM on Jul. 21, 2013

• When you need pedal extensions to reach the accelerator and brake you'll understand. Or when you are denied admission on a ride because you must be this tall to ride, you'll understand. LOL I am not short I am fun size. Because people tend not to see me I get the juicy gossip. Everyone is self conscious about something.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:39 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• No one is ever happy with themselves all the time. At 5'5 I kind of wish I was taller and blessed with the skinny gene so I don't have to work my butt off twice a stupid day.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 8:25 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• 5'6" is not short that is average. Tell her to quit whining.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:01 PM on Jul. 22, 2013

• Oops, read it wrong. Might be best if your friend learned how to walk in stilettos.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:02 PM on Jul. 22, 2013