So we rescued a cocker spaniel tonight....what next? help!

So, we are in love with cocker spaniels, found a dog that was being given away...flea infested, 5 years old, has had 4 litters (can you say puppy mill?). She is very sweet and all, but the house she came from was one of those homes where the owners have so many pets that run around the house (pet rats included)....unsanitary living space. She is overweight and hasn't had her hair trimmed in who knows how long....not to mention she's about 2 years past due on vet checks.....
So where would you start with getting her up to date and well?????? She is out in our air conditioned garage as of now (yes I know, not the prime location, but I don't want the fleas introduced into our home if we can help it...)

What's the most effective/efficient/quick way to get rid of her flea problem?
Also, we would get her rabies shots/tags asap......
I was thinking first thing tomorrow shaving her down and giving her a bath in flea shampoo?
Is there anything you would do before letting her roam the inside of our home?
BTW....we also have an 8 month old cocker spaniel....we don't want anything passing to her.
Thank you! :)

CaliBlondeGirl

Asked by CaliBlondeGirl at 1:47 AM on Jul. 21, 2013 in Pets

• I'd call the local humane society ask ask their advice.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:51 AM on Jul. 21, 2013

• Make a vet appt. Heartworm check, rabies shots, flea dip, etc.
    A clean space, food, water and a roof over her head are all she needs for tonight. She'll know someone loves her.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:55 AM on Jul. 21, 2013

• What mae said or contact your vet. I'm glad the puppy now has a good home!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 1:56 AM on Jul. 21, 2013

• I got my Cocker from a shelter down in Kentucky. Same issues, hair, fleas, etc.... I immediately took him to Petco as soon as we go back home. (Now, I don't really recommend Petco)..... However, he was a mess and I couldn't bring him home. They cleaned him up the best they could... Then I took him to the vet. After that I made an appointment at a more reputable groomers. He has been going there every since. If you have a Petco or Petsmart you could take her there for urgent grooming, etc.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:56 AM on Jul. 21, 2013

• Poor dog. It's horrifying what people will put their animals through. I wouldn't try to groom her yourself if she's excessively flea-ridden and overgrown. I agree, take her to a chain pet store for a bath and flea dip, then to the vet. Bless you for giving her a good home and a new chance at a happy life.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:01 AM on Jul. 21, 2013

• groomers won't touch her if she hasn't had her rabies shot though :/
    CaliBlondeGirl

Comment by CaliBlondeGirl (original poster) at 2:12 AM on Jul. 21, 2013

• You can probably have everything taken care of at the vet's, including fleas and shaving and nail clipping. The vet can also deal with any problems that might be apparent after the initial shave. It's a good thing you are doing. :)
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 5:46 AM on Jul. 21, 2013

• Many vets offices have 'in house' groomers. Call around and she can get groomed and vaxed all in one day.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:19 AM on Jul. 21, 2013

• Take her to the vet ASAP
    Yes I know about the fleas but you already had them in you car when you brought her home.
    What if she is carrying something and you go to shave and bath and she nips you or worse?
    Are you ready to deal with rabies shots?
    Have you reported this woman and her animals? That is actually step #1 along with pictures of your animal.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:39 AM on Jul. 21, 2013

• take her to the vet for a full check up, don't try to shave her yourself, sometimes the matted fur is so bad it rips the skin and hurts them really bad.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:27 PM on Jul. 21, 2013