Teens smoking cigarettes?

Do your kids smoke or have they ever experimented with smoking? My daughter experimented for about a week when she was 13 and realized it wasn't something she wanted to do. When I was growing up it was the cool thing to do now a days only 1 of my dd's friends smoke. But I do think if kids are going to smoke there isn't much we can do to stop them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:43 AM on Jul. 21, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• Only thing you can do is not give them money to buy the cigerets. And go threw there room to look for them.

Answer by louise2 at 7:42 AM on Jul. 21, 2013

• I think you can communicate your concerns & preferences, and you also can proceed in ways that implicitly honor the teen's autonomy (rather than responding by trying to control or force your desired outcome.) And that's actually doing something!!
    But I think you're right, if they are going to smoke that is not really something you can stop through control.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 8:10 AM on Jul. 21, 2013

• I can make sure they aren't anywhere unsupervised that they can smoke, I can make sure that they don't have enough money to buy cigarettes - yes there are ways I can keep them from smoking until they are 18. They are my responsibility until 18 and I take that seriously. It's a gross life threatening habit and I don't want my children having health problems from something I could have prevented.

Answer by missanc at 11:01 AM on Jul. 21, 2013

• . But I do think if kids are going to smoke there isn't much we can do to stop them.

Are you a moron? First off kids can't legally purchase cigarettes until they are 18 years old so first you would have to question how the hell they are getting them and start there. Cigarettes aren't just poppin out of their asses.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:23 AM on Jul. 21, 2013

• I suppose if a teen is absolutely determined to do something, whether it's smoking or not, there's not going to be much anyone can do about it. But I've started early with my daughter, telling her that cigarettes are yucky and that they make people sick. As she gets older, I'll also let her know how expensive cigarettes are. As a young teen, she won't be unsupervised in public to smoke, and there won't be smoking in my house ever, by anybody, because it causes me big health problems. Hopefully that will be enough to get her through because I read a study once that said if a kid doesn't start smoking by the age of eighteen, chances are very high that he or she won't pick up the habit at all.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:48 PM on Jul. 21, 2013