How do I get wifi set up at my home?

I am very technological challenged. We have cable internet but since I am going back to school soon, I would like to do my homework on my laptop. What do I need to get it set up? I have tried to google this and got a variety of information and I am more confused than ever.

Asked by JeremysMom at 9:49 AM on Jul. 21, 2013 in Technology

• It really depends on the equipment you have in terms of computers. You need a router that's set up for wireless, first of all. Beyond that, it depends on what you have. I have a laptop that has an integrated wifi adapter, but I had to buy ones that plug into the USB ports on the desktops my boys use (they're pretty old). That's probably why you got conflicting information.

My best advice would be, if you don't have anyone that can do it for you, go to Staples or Office Depot and make sure you bring a list of what you have (brand and age of computers, operating systems, size of hard drives, etc.), and tell them what you want to do. They should be able to tell you exactly what you'd need for your set up, and if they can't tell you exactly how to do it, it all comes with instructions and usually there's a phone number you can call to talk to the manufacturer's tech support and get help that way.

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:57 AM on Jul. 21, 2013

• Call your cable/satellite company. They'll bring you over a router and set it up

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:00 AM on Jul. 21, 2013

• Your WI-FI address is on the side of your router. It's the WOP Number

Answer by PMSMom10 at 10:16 AM on Jul. 21, 2013

• It helps to know what system you have ,then Google by that , here is a generic one

on how to set up one. And like someone said the company will talk you trough the set up

Answer by by2013 at 11:11 AM on Jul. 21, 2013

• First your laptop needs to be WIFI capible. Then you need a internet box that is WIFI capile. Then you need to call your cable or phone company and pay for WIFI.

Answer by louise2 at 12:26 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• The cable people should have set you up with a modem. *the thing with the blinking lights*
    From your modem, you need to be connected to a wireless router. You can buy one for like $30 at Staples.
    From there, the modem will have a disk for you to set it up and give you a password to connect.

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:06 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• Depending on your internet service, it should be as easy as buying a router ($30ish bucks at Walmart), plugging it into your computer, following the directions on screen, then connecting your laptop to the network. At least that's all I did the first time I set it up and I'm no techy either. Your internet/cable company will come out and set it up with a router, but then you'll most likely not only have to pay for the visit, but they'll be tacking on $5 -$10 to your bill each month to "rent" their router when you can just buy your own for relatively cheap.

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:08 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• yes get a router

Answer by mekarevell at 2:45 AM on Jul. 23, 2013