...And they're surprised when he won't talk to them. VENT

I'm SOOOO sick of people talking to my son like he's a toddler. He's TWELVE people,not 2. quit talking down to him!! When he ignores them,they look at me like he's being rude.
OMG,autism does not mean he's retarded or deaf
I had my haircut yesterday,and took him along. My stylist kept talking to him like he was a baby.
I'm so sick of telling people that he understands you perfectly well. Just because he doesn't talk much,it doesn't mean he doesn't understand
They're always amazed when I'll ask him their question,in a normal tone of voice,and he answers me
I want to tell them a little education goes along way. Instead of looking like an ignorant ass,do a little research about disabilities.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 10:23 AM on Jul. 21, 2013 in Special Needs

• Tell them! "My child is 12 years old. If you do not speak to him like he is 12, then he will not understand you are speaking to him and will ignore you."
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 10:42 AM on Jul. 21, 2013

• I never even talked to my toddlers like they were babies!! I can't imagine how frustrating that must be for you both! ;o(
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:40 AM on Jul. 21, 2013

• that would piss me off big time. some people deserve a high five to the face.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:06 AM on Jul. 21, 2013

• poor dude. that would annoy me.... and him I assume
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:16 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• I only talk to babies and pets in a different tone of voice. Not baby talk, but not normal. Since my kids have been old enough to understand me I have talked to them as I would any other person. It's annoying when adults talk to kids like they are much younger than they really are.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:00 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• I agree! People make themselves sound like idiots. My daughter even noticed recently at a restaurant. She asked me, "Mom, why is the waitress talking to that old lady like she's a kid. She's a grown-up already!"
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:24 PM on Jul. 21, 2013