Grilling ribs...start them in the oven or not?

I haven't cooked ribs in 15 years. Ive googled recipes and most say to start them in a 250 oven and finish them on the grill.

How do you BBQ ribs?

PandaGwen

Asked by PandaGwen at 11:26 AM on Jul. 21, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Yes, we do them for a long time in a low oven and then grill them. They stay more tender that way IMO.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 11:27 AM on Jul. 21, 2013

• My husb just won a rib-off he had w/ some of his buddies. He always slow-cooks them in the oven first. Of course, his entire recipe is top secret! :p I can tell you he marinates them overnight, slow-cooks them with rub consisting of a blend of herbs & spices & then while grilling, slathers them in his homemade sauce toward the end. Enjoy :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:30 AM on Jul. 21, 2013

• we boil them- then either put them in the oven or on the grill
    *or I just cook them in a crockpot
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:36 AM on Jul. 21, 2013

• *I buy boneless ribs though -so if there are bones...I dunno!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:38 AM on Jul. 21, 2013

• This is what I do and I have never gotten anything but rave reviews. The end up so tender they fall of the bone!

I start them with a good rub down in McCormics Sweet and Smokey rub and wrap them up tight in tin foil. I them put them in the oven for a couple hours on 275-300. Then I let them cool enough to touch and unwrap. Slather them in our home made BBQ sauce and either thrown them on the grill or back in the oven to broil until the sauce thickens and the edges crisp.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:46 AM on Jul. 21, 2013

• My SO and I cook ribs only on the grill. We made a dry rub with a mixture of herbs and spices. Cut the fat off, tore off the membrane from the back of the ribs, generously rubbed the dry rub all over the ribs, wrapped it tightly in foil, and put it in the fridge for 2 hours. Then took the ribs out of the foil, sprayed the grill with cooking spray, cooked the ribs on low heat for 10 min on each side to sear in the flavor. We wrapped the ribs in foil, placed it on the top shelf of the grill and cooked it for 2 more hours. Every 20 min, we flipped it and brushed on some liquid (secret recipe). The ribs smelled and tasted so good. We didn't need a knife as the meat was all but falling off the bones.

No oven needed.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 11:55 AM on Jul. 21, 2013

• husband insists on starting them 1st. i say low and slow and long time on grill.... right now the point of grilling is to not heat up the kitchen
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:58 AM on Jul. 21, 2013

• DH cooks the completelyon the grill.  He cooks them half done then wraps them in tinfoil 2 times. Grills them the rest of the way.  Comes out tender.  Cooking them in the oven is the lazy way. Andy they do not come out tasting grilled.

Answer by louise2 at 12:22 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• yeah, we start them in the oven at 250 for a few hours.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:12 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• I boil them in water, beer and onions with some seasonings. Then I grill them with lots of BBQ sauce. I have also put them in the crockpot filled with BBQ sauce and cook all day. Then I grill just to caramel the ribs.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:23 PM on Jul. 21, 2013