Landlady got nasty about the rent being late n I'm so offended!

We've been renting this house for 6 months. The last 3 months we paid late, because my husband was in an accident and we have other bills to pay. My husband explained that to the landlord. The landlord would call us, and then I'd put a check under our doormat, and he could pick it up whenever he wants. I thought this was working out great!

Today his wife calls us all pissed off. She said the rent was due the 15th and it's are responsibility to get it to them on time. She said it's not her fusbands job to chase rent dodgers, and that the rent is habitually late. i explained about my husbands accident, but she said her mortgage company doesn't want to hear excuses. They want their money, and her and her husband are sick of our games!

I am so offended! The husband is a laid back nice guy, and he was always so friendly when he came by to make repairs. Why is this B***** suddenly so involved and causing trouble? We had a great landlord/tenant relationship b4 she started all this drama!

She also demanded we set up direct deposit for the rent and get them the rent on time in the future. I think she has a lot of nerve and I don't want to do that. Also, we're not always going to have the money by the 15th. I'm mad that the landlord let his wife treat us like that!

What would you do?

Why couldn't she let her husband handle it! Things were great when HE was collecting the rent!

Don't I have right as a tenant!  Can I sue her for yelling at me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Jul. 21, 2013 in Money & Work

• I would pay my rent on time.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:35 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• She did not handle it great considering you had already spoken to her husband and worked something out. However she is not wrong either. If they are still paying the mortgage on that house and your rent helps to cover that then I can see how your problems are becoming her problems which isn't fair either. You need to find other ways to cut your budget so the retn can be paid on time. Rent food and water should always come first.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:36 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• I would pay the rent on time and work out something to pay the other bills.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:36 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• Mayabe he is tired of dealing with it and she decided to get involved.

EVERYONE has bills to pay, I don't understand why you are offended by them wnating the rent on time.

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:37 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• Didn't like getting bashed in confessions? Pay your rent.

No one feels sorry for you.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 1:38 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• Yeah, most of the time the men are more easily swayed than the women, so he probably let her deal with it now. Just pay it on time. It's easy and you'll never have any more issues....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:39 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• On another note, you should be happy that they have been dealing with you and not evicting you. That is a possibility ya know.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:40 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• Maybe she handled it wrong, but let's face it. You're late. You are in the wrong.
    You obviously have internet or a smart phone. Maybe you'd want to consider turning one of those off? Sell some stuff to earn extra money? Look for a 2nd job, or work from home to earn income?

If your husbands accident was that bad, you can get emergency assistance.

PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:40 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• She is probably more ASSERTIVE and DIRECT with the tenants. She probably gets involved when tenants become a problem, and he's probably complaining to her
    ForestFairy09

Answer by ForestFairy09 at 1:42 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• I would pay my rent on time and not expect some stranger to have to front a mortgage payment to the bank for me because of a set of unfortunate circumstances. If I really didn't like my landlords I would start looking for somewhere else to live. But I would expect that all landlords would expect me to pay rent on time.

I will say, from the other point of view, I would be super pissed if someone had signed a contract for rent with me and then expected me to use my own funds to make up for an obligation they are not living up to.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:43 PM on Jul. 21, 2013