The gowns at the hospital don't fit me! What can I do?

So, basically, the gowns at the hospital do not fit. I am not exactly the thinnest person on earth. All the gowns are so tiny on me! They don't even cover my butt, which is MAJORLY embarrassing, and I don't feel comfortable going to the hospital, looking like crap when in labor, and having to wear something that only covers my breasts, and part of my front!

I plan to discuss with my OBGYN on what options the hospital has for this, but are there any other options?

All of the gowns there are made for women who weigh at least 80lbs less then I do...

ChrysAsh

Asked by ChrysAsh at 3:12 PM on Jul. 21, 2013 in Pregnancy

• i was pretty damn big when i was in labor with my 2nd. i think i weighed 220 lbs and i was carrying a 10 pound baby so my belly was huge. they can give you two gowns- one that you wear like a jacket to cover your backside, and the other you put on the regular way.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:19 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• trust me you'll get over that fast when you're in labor. i had to have stitches after my 1st delivery and the guy who cleaned them after was not much older than me at the time since my hospital has a lot of resident students from the university. modesty goes out the window when you have a baby.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:36 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• It will be fine for the birth! Better to get all the blood and shmucus on their gown than your clothes. Simply pack a robe for when you want/need to be up and about during labor. You can have blankets when you are in the bed. After the birth you are free to change into whatever you like!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:27 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• When you are in labor you will literally not care who sees you as long as the baby comes out. lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:36 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• They have blankets made out of the same material and regular blankets as well they can use to cover you and they will fold those up as needed to get them out of the way.

You CAN wear your own clothes such as button up PJ tops (though you might have to wear them backwards if you plan on having anything like an epi done.

No one in the medical field is going to care. Seriously.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:21 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• I did like the first person said.....wore one forward and one backwards.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:31 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• Hospital gowns are designed to be open in the back :) They also have what we call a big girl gown, I have had people well over 400 pounds wear them with no problem. Like previous poster said, you can get two and wear the other one to cover you back side when you are up and moving around. After the birth, you can wear your own if you want but the staff will still be checking for bleeding etc..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:40 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• OP, you won't care when you go into labor, but I remember all my insecurities before my first child was born.
    What if I do this or what if this happens, it's awful!
    Hang in there and keep in mind, they've seen a lot worst, lol
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 4:18 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• Take your own gowns
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:48 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• Wear two. One back words and one for words .

Answer by louise2 at 3:54 PM on Jul. 21, 2013