Why do parents to children with Autism always say 'I don't want a cure'? I have a son...

and I swear I am waiting for the day I get the cure I keep being promised. Would it change his personality? Maybe some. Would it eliminate his 'endearing' quirks. Maybe some of them. But those are things that may or may not be caused by his Autism. And gooness knows he would still be my son and EVERY kid has their funny little things they do so that would not change. He would still be wonderfully original. What I look at is Would it make his life easier to navigate? YES! Would it make raising him less of a challenge? YES! Would it make it so that myself and DH can get out of the constant 'battle mode' we feel we are in? YES! Would it make my son more self sufficient? YES!

So. Is it really that horrible that I say 'YES!' I would get my son a cure? I have been bashed to pieces on message boards before over this subject so if you don't agree with me I am used to it. It has been a while since I have brought this up anywhere at all and never here so I was just curious others thoughts.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Jul. 21, 2013 in Special Needs

• I think what most parents are trying to get at when they say they don't want a cure for their disabled children is that they love their children just as they are, that they accept the disabilities as part of who their children are. But if someone discovered a cure for autism tomorrow, I bet many of those parents would be pushing for a spot at the head of the line to get it. I accept my blindness as part of who I am, but if some doctor started selling visors like Geordi La Forge wore on Star Trek, I'd go in debt to get one.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:48 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• If there was a cure,I'd get it for my son in a heartbeat

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:59 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• I don't have a special needs child but if I did I think I would love to get a cure for my child without a second thought!!
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 6:07 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• i would love a cure
    however, kids that have had for a time will never be 'cured'
    as their brains as already programmed this way
    they can get a whole lot better, but not cured as their dendrites are already formed in an autistic way

a "cure" as no one in future starts down the autism path- great
    a "cure" so kids already having autism havea lot less autism traits-great
    people accepting those that are different- great
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 6:07 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• when i changed my daughters diet, her worse traits lessened
    her personality is still the same

the elimination diet did not cure her autism, just made it less severe=less fog (i used to call it, more in this world less withdrawn)
    a cure would not cure her, change her personality, but would make it easier for her to function in daily life

i would take a cure in a heartbeat
    it would not change my daughter
    just make her- less foggy brain, less sensory overloads, less brain 'pain' from overloads
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 6:11 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• My son has Asperger's. Would I want a "cure"? Hell no. It is a part of him. It's part of who he is. To get rid of that aspect of him, would change who he is dramatically. Yes, he would still be my son, but he would be a different son than the one I gave birth to.

Asperger's/Autism is a part of our lives. Yes, at times it's a bitch to deal with, but to have it any other way would change our lives completely. I don't know if that would be a good change or a bad change. I don't want to find out.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:14 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• if there were a cure I'd take it in a heartbeat. I've always wondered who my children would actually be if they weren't affected by the autism. They are still my children and I love them either way. The diet fiatpax mentioned did not work with my kids. Medications work with them, but how nice would it be to not need it for them to function.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:51 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• I am counting the seconds till they come up with a treatment or cure. My son is severe and his autism effects every second of of every day for everyone in the house. The stress level is insane. I have faith that some day they will find something that will help these kids. I have to have faith or I don't think I could face the hardest days.
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 5:38 PM on Aug. 18, 2013