A few concerns about after school at home and sitting in the front seat. I need some advice on this.

My first dilemma/concern is that my work hours have changed and I will no longer be getting off work at 3:15 to get my son. After school care is provided for a fee but I would like to avoid the after school care program at least for the majority of the time. I was thinking about using my lunch break from 3:30-4 to pick up my son (just a mile from my work), take him home and get him settled and then go back to work from 4-5. He is 9 and he would not be by himself. My husband would be there, but he would be asleep. 

Second dilemma/concern is that my husband lets our son sit in the front seat of his car. Now he wants to do it in mine as well. He is tall and big for his age. (He is about the size of a normal 11-12 year old). My airbags turn off if there is not 120 lb pressure in the passenger seat. I remember sitting up front at his age as a child, but I am just not sure if I should let him yet. There are no laws about this in my state. Any advice?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 5:39 PM on Jul. 21, 2013 in General Parenting

• I think he's fine after school. Just make sure he has your number. As far as the front seat, my daughter is 10 and 5' and 115 pounds. We let her now, but just started. I was uncomfortable at first. Maybe give it a year?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 5:44 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• Dilemma 1. My DH works 12 hour shifts at night and has been 'watching' my kids ages 5 and 8 all summer. Granted this is only 3-4 days a week without me home as well. I get them settled in the AM with Breakfast and expectations. He wakes up to give them lunch and then I am home by 3:30 which is about when he wakes up. I think that your plan would be fine as long as you think you can swing it! Can DH not wake up long enough to g t him off a bug though? Even if it is just a couple days a week so you don't have to stress about it? The other thing to consider is the time in the car rider line if that is your plan.

Dilemma 2. I think as long as he is tall enough for the seat belt to be warn properly and he is not messing around (Facing forward, not being silly, ect) Then I would allow it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:46 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• But_Mommie, we don't have bus service since we live out of zone for the bus service. My husband works 84 hours one week and is off the next week (so really this will only be an every other week thing). He works from 7 pm -7 am. When he gets off from work, he normally works out, goes to class, does his errands, etc. He doesn't get to bed until about noon-1 and then sleeps to 6. I know he would go pick him up in a heart beat if I asked him too, but he already gets too little sleep as it is. 

As far as the seat belt, the seat belt in the front seat fits him better than the one in the back since it is adjustable in the front. I hate our back seat seat belts. They don't even fit me! So that is a plus if he sits up front.

JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 5:55 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• I think that is fine. He won't be home alone so if an emergency were to happen he could wake your husband up. As for the front seat, if you are comfortable with it and the airbags are turned off, it should be fine. If the belt fits him better in the front seat then I say go for it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 6:08 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• Is there a neighbor, relative or friend that could pick your son up and drop him off at your house after school? I think he would be fine being home for that period of time. Your dh will be there, just sleeping.

As for the front seat, as long as there are no laws in your state, I would just go with your gut on it.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 6:27 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• I wouldn't have concerns about leaving your son home for an hour while your husband was there sleeping. If an emergency arose, your husband would wake up and help to handle it. As for the front seat thing, if your son is big enough that the seat belt fits him correctly, he's probably fine. The main concerns with kids sitting in the front seat are that the adult belts don't fit them right and the air bags could hit them in the wrong place, but yours turn off.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:12 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• Why are you avoiding FREE after school care program? It is FREE. Look into your laws about kids sitting in the frontseat. Most kids nee to be a certain age and a certain height.

Answer by louise2 at 7:21 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• Why are you avoiding FREE after school care program? It is FREE.

No it isn't. She said it was provided for a FEE.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:30 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• I agree with avoiding the after school program.I think your plan for picking him up on your lunch sounds okay to me. As far as the front seat issue, we make our boys sit in the back until they're 12, no matter what size they are. It's not a state law, it's our law, and they just deal with it.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 7:44 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• OOPPS! Thought it said FREE. Put a letter in. Sorry!

Answer by louise2 at 9:09 PM on Jul. 21, 2013