Oversensitive hearing w/Asperger's?

About a year ago we finally got the official diagnosis of Asperger's in my son. He was almost 9.

For several years now we've been having problems with being able to hear him. HE thinks he's speaking at a normal tone of voice, but a whisper is louder than him.

I know as a child he had a lot of ear infections we didn't know about, which delayed his speech. He sounded like a deaf person talking.

Is the pendulum swinging the other way now? Is it possible to have over sensitive hearing because of the diagnosis?

Rosehawk

Asked by Rosehawk at 6:19 PM on Jul. 21, 2013 in Special Needs

• sounds like typical sensory processing disorder issues (SPD)

my (moderate autism) if someone whispers to her- it "hurts" her

think of SPD as some circuits in brain that may be connected backward

mine- firm touch is fine,
    a light touch- like someone is hurting her
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 6:34 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• touch can be different- like holds things too tight or too loose

clothes can feel like sandpaper

hearing

walking into a room of many people talking- sounds like a murmur to us, spectrum people-can be very hard to place any ion background, all the voices can sound like right next to them

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 6:36 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• Yeah I wasn't sure. He has NO fabric issues, NO food taste/texture issues, NOTHING like that.

Since he was a baby, he'd get over stimulated easily and would need a quiet dim-dark room to calm down. I've never really thought about his ears until my dad asked about hearing tests and if schools still do them. We KNOW his hearing is just fine. The problem is the reproduction.

HE thinks he's being loud enough for anyone to hear him, but he's actually so quite you can't hear him from a foot away.

Even his therapist agrees that his diagnosis is abnormal.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 6:38 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• t is possible for any of his senses to be on high alert. My DS has a very sensitive nose (He get upset by the smells ina farmers market or someone smoking in the car beside us with the windows down) and is extremely sensitive to changed in light (going from very dark to light can make him almost nauseous) . So while it may be possible that he feels he is speaking louder than he is it is also possible for a quiet tone to be related to his social deficiencies. Not really wanting to talk louder than necessary.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:38 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• this is the stuff i would like a "cure" for
    or at least less of
    would not change my daughter at all
    but would make her world less scary and even PAINFUL

imagine walking around all day with a stone in your shoe- you would take shoe off and take stone out
    what if all shoes always felt like this, or long sleeves felt like sandpaper on your skin

every time you heard a voice down the hall or down the block- it sounded like they were right next to you talking to you
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 6:38 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• the volume a child uses
    therapists my daughter has is working with her so she will be more able to know what volume she is using
    -----------------------
    assume you ruled out any hearing loss
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 6:40 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• The other thought is it could be a speech deficiency. He is not properly raising his voice because he is unable to do so. He is doing hwat feels comfortable for him. A speech therapist should be able to determine if that is the problem
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:40 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• Yeah, I can understand wanting a cure for that fiat. We're still figuring everything out, and adjusting. He's doing AWESOME as is, a lot of the time I forget that he's not "normal" (whatever THAT is).
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 6:41 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• read up on SPD
    a lot of things make more sense after reading about it
    not all will fit your situation
    some might nail it on the head
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 6:50 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 6:52 PM on Jul. 21, 2013