Do you think this would get the point across?

the neighbors down the street have 5 unruly kids that CONSTANTLY leave their trash in my yard. i have told them before to pick up their trash when i catch them in the act, even point them to the direction of the trash can we keep in the garage, and they do it but they give me this look like ive asked them to move to another planet. when im walking around my house doing yardwork im tired of picking up plastic spoons, cups, empty packages of chips, cookies, soda cans, etc. im this close to anything that i find just walking over to their house and leaving it on the doorstep.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:45 PM on Jul. 21, 2013 in Relationships

• That probably won't help because instead of teaching the kids by example, you're going tit for tat with them, and littering. I know how old it gets picking up trash, believe me, I do. I have the same problem in my yard. But I would just continue pointing the kids to the trash can when you catch them leaving junk on your lawn. Maybe, after a hundred gazillion repetitions, they'll get it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:54 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• Why are they in your yard? Do they play with your children? and have you talked to their parents?
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:55 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• swear to God I would do that. it will only take once :)
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:03 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• you don't have to teach them by example..... they aren't your kids. and you've tried to gently train them before to no avail.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:04 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• I'd be afraid they'd call the cops on me and, honestly, I think they'd have a case. There's no proof the trash came from their kids, specifically, so you'd be the bad guy. Have you talked to the parents about this?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:08 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• it's a civil matter... the cops would likely not even come. if they did, i doubt they'd stay more than 90 seconds
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:13 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• Have you tried to talk to the parents?

Answer by louise2 at 7:15 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• In some cities it isn't a civil matter it is at the very least Littering and at the worst Criminal mischief and trespassing.

Talk with the parents if that doesn't work then tell the kids they cannot be in your yard and tell that to the parents as well.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 7:24 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• "it's a civil matter."

What? Dumping trash on your neighbor's front porch is a civil matter?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:24 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• the mom is scary to be honest. sometimes i hear her screaming at them from the front porch. she calls them idiots and throws every swear word in the book at them. i dont think she'd take kindly to me addressing this concern with her.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:26 PM on Jul. 21, 2013