Is this considered child abuse?

A friend of mine uses this method and I am unsure if I should try it. She has tried giving her daughter "time outs", but she never stays in "time out." So her husband told her about having the child face the wall and put their hands up in the air for maybe 5 mins or so (the child is 7). If the child refuses to do this, then the child gets more mins or is sent to her room. If the tantrum gets even worse, then the child has to stay in the room for a day or so only to leave to go to the bathroom or eat or if they need to go somewhere. They are trying nonviolent ways of discipline. Is this considered child abuse?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:38 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• For a whole day? Seems excessive to me.
    Anonymous

• No thats not child abuse at all. It might seem extreme to you but its not hurting the child.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:39 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I'm not sure about child abuse but such prolonged punishment for a child who is so young doesn't make sense to me. They understand immediate responses. To continue to punish well after the offense won't make sense to them. Also, if they won't stay in time out...why would they stay in the corner with their hands above their head?
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:39 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Abuse comes in many different forms. You don't have to HURT the child for it to be abuse. Keeping a child in his or her's room all day may be considered child abuse if it starts to affect them.
    Anonymous

• I think the parents, especially this "father" needs some time out.

For me thats child abuse. sorry, but what he is doing is way too extreme. he is not on a flipping military base, its his child.

some parents need to get bitch slapped.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 2:43 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• It's stupid.

It's not correcting the issue.

It's not teaching the child what to do right.

It's lame.

It's lazy parenting.

Yeah - I think it's abuse.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 2:44 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I agree with Angie, if the child won't stay in time out, why would she stay in a corner. The hands in the air above her head seems excessive and ... I don't know about abusive, but certainly not the right thing to do- to demand that the child do something that will hurt. The stay in the room thing, if she can eat, use the bathroom, and has something she can do- such as read.. well she would get no fresh air or physical activitiy, so this disturbs me, too. Maybe stay in the room for an hour. The long drawn out punishment won't be effective. The child won't associate the bad behavior with the extended punishment.

Answer by Bmat at 2:45 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I know my ex uses something called the electric chair which is making the child put their back against the wall like their sitting in a chair. I reported him to cps and cps said that was innappropriate discipline, so I am guessing this hold their hands in the air would be considered the same thing. Putting the child in their room for the whole day is neglecting the child, so yes it is abuse.

Answer by gemgem at 2:46 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• anything longer then 2 hours
    sounds like it would be
    Anonymous

• Sorry, have to weigh in here. This is not abuse. My parents would punish us this same way in the corner and it worked. Maybe if more parents actually punished their children we wouldn't have all the issues in society that we have now.
    Mommyto1DD

Answer by Mommyto1DD at 2:48 PM on Feb. 18, 2009