Hi!

I am new at this group and would like to ask few questions about parenting. I hope I can get many good tips on how to deal with my kid on difficult days. he is 9 and has asperger's. was diagnosed about 6 months ago. we are still learning. do you know a support group that i can attend (once a month or so)?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:04 PM on Jul. 21, 2013 in About CafeMom

• There are a few moms in answers who have kids on the spectrum so if you post in the special needs section you will be more likely to get better answers there. Good luck.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:05 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• I am new at this group - this is not a group... sorry

would like to ask few questions about parenting - ask away but you will get better answers if you put your question in the right catagory. Unless your question is about CM your in the wrong section

I hope I can get many good tips on how to deal with my kid on difficult days. he is 9 and has asperger's. was diagnosed about 6 months ago. we are still learning. do you know a support group that i can attend (once a month or so)? - you can google support groups to attend in your area - as we don't know were you live.

there are a lot of groups here on CM that can help you... you just have to look for them. Good luck!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:08 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• There's some wonderful moms here that can help you. Welcome!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:09 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• What are your questions? My son is almost 10, and was diagnosed almost a year ago?

You will also get a bit further, and get more honest answers, if you DON'T go anon.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:09 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• My son is almost 9 and was diagnosed at 5.5. Ask away.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:17 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• for the best responses- use your Screen Name
    you will then be able to build a rapport with the other Mommas in the section
    Because as mentioned We are Not a Group.

File your questions under the "special needs" tab so Moms with experience are more likely to see and respond
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 11:19 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• My stepson is seventeen and was only officially diagnosed a year ago, but we've been dealing with issues for years. I'm sure you'll geta lot of help, but as others have suggested, post your questions in the Special Needs category.

As far as support groups, check with the doctor who diagnosed your son, if possible, to find out what's available in your area. There may be groups for parents and also for kids on the spectrum. Where I live, there's a group for teens who are dealing with PDD and Asperger's.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:20 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• I donot have a child who falls on the spectrum but there are a lot of great moms in answers.
    Screen names usually get a better response than going anon FYI.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:35 PM on Jul. 21, 2013

• http://www.cafemom.com/group/76

You could try this group. It was the first group I joined when I started using cafemom. I have not been going to this group for awhile because most of the moms there have kids a lot younger than mine, so I'm not sure if it's very active.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 4:05 AM on Jul. 22, 2013

• Did you mean a support group you could attend in your area? You could check with your child's Dr., your county board of Dev. Disabilities or maybe the United Way (211) to find one close to you. You could also get referrals for services to help your child. GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:28 AM on Jul. 22, 2013