Learning the Multiplication Tables

I'm proofreading a third grade math book, and I'm seeing a lot of games, finger tricks, graphic representations of problems, and other strategies designed to help kids learn their times tables. I'm wondering if any of you with kids from about eight to ten years old, or kids who are past that age now, have noticed that they use these strategies. If so, do you think they've had an easier time learning their multiplication facts than we did the old-fashioned way, which involved loads of straightforward repetition and memorization. I'm just curious because the teaching methods seem a lot more clever than what I remember from grade school, and I wonder if they're more effective than just going over and over the same math drills till you know them in your sleep.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 12:09 AM on Jul. 22, 2013 in General Parenting

• When I started homeschooling, one thing that I learned was that kids all have different learning styles: visual, auditory, tactile, and I think there are 1 or 2 more. My boys are both tactile learners, which means they learn better through doing than memorization, reading, lectures or worksheets. When my oldest was expected to memorize his multiplication tables in public school, they never stuck. To the point he couldn't even remember 1x1, he just did not get them. Once I determined he was a tactile learner, I made up some manipulatives to help him. I made up cards with numbers to show the relationships between them all, and when he can touch cards and move them, and see how they go together, he not only started picking up multiplication but division was suddenly a snap, too.

So I do think tricks can work, if they work with the child's learning style. And for some kids, plain old memorization can work too.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:35 AM on Jul. 22, 2013

• Don't know what school that is for, but the "tricks" they teach in my sons school actually make everything more complicated.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:21 AM on Jul. 22, 2013

• I'm not sure how my 9 year old is learning his multiplication tables, he won't tell me, so I don't know how effective it is. I DO know that they're teaching column addition backwards. Say you have 300 plus 450. Now they're teaching to add the hundreds, then the tens, then the ones. *I* learned ones, tens, hundreds and carry numbers as needed. I don't know HOW the kids are managing that with this bass ackwards way of teaching.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:18 AM on Jul. 22, 2013

• 2nd grade we started with only a few of the times table - 0, 1, 5, and 10. He caught on really quick but I wouldn't really call the way I taught him as any tricks. 3rd grade will bring on more of the times table.

My 11.5 year old on the other hand... he just learned it the way I did, through basic memorization. I think it really depends on the child and how they learn best.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:21 AM on Jul. 22, 2013

• I DO know that they're teaching column addition backwards. Say you have 300 plus 450. Now they're teaching to add the hundreds, then the tens, then the ones. *I* learned ones, tens, hundreds and carry numbers as needed. I don't know HOW the kids are managing that with this bass ackwards way of teaching.

^^^^
    This drove me nuts this year and I had to teach him how to do it the way I learned it, because he couldn't figure out how to carry anything over. Bass ackwards is right!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:59 AM on Jul. 22, 2013

I learned as you learned,the supposed tricks makes it harder for me and math is not my strong subject to begin with. The only trick I learned with multiplication was the 9 rule, 9* 8=71,no because 7+1= 8, 9*8=72 yes because 7+2=9,you can do this with all the 9's at least thru 9*12 which is high as we went

RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 8:59 AM on Jul. 22, 2013

• It cracks me up that they're teaching the bass ackwards way now, because that's the only way I've ever figured out how to add, and I got yelled at a million times in school for doing it wrong even if I came up with the right answer. Now they're teaching it; go figure.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 3:58 PM on Jul. 22, 2013