Niece's boyfriend moving in? adult content

My 17 year old niece has a boyfriend of 3 years whos dad just got transferred and is moving out of state. Both my niece and her bf graduate next June and the boy wants to finish high school here. So my sister is allowing the boyfriend to move in and sleep in her room for the upcoming school year. She asked my opinion and I'm kinda on the fence.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:09 AM on Jul. 22, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• I can see why he would want to finish school here, but I do not know if he should stay with her. What if they break up? If I did let my daughters bf live with us you can sure bet he would not be sleeping in her room though. How does his family feel about this?
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:17 AM on Jul. 22, 2013

• I don't think that's the best decision especially them sharing a room but hey maybe this will be a test for them.I know once living with my SO everything changed! Good and some bad but we learned even more about each other. As long as they are using protection even if he isn't staying in her room. Hopefully they don't break up or get pregnant.
    ._Andrea_.

Answer by ._Andrea_. at 7:01 AM on Jul. 22, 2013

• I can understand him living with a friend's family for the year, but with a girlfriend, at THAT age? What if they break up, and all of a sudden there's a minor with nowhere to live?
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:13 AM on Jul. 22, 2013

• I'm skeptical of this question
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:34 AM on Jul. 22, 2013

• Not a good idea. And them sharing her room is an even worse idea. Doesn't the boy have other family he can stay with, or at least a male friend?
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:38 AM on Jul. 22, 2013

• Where is his Mother and other family members?
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:06 AM on Jul. 22, 2013

• I have a friend who was in this situation. His gf's parents were moving away and she didn't want to change schools so late (she was 16-17). So his parents let her stay with them but she DID have her own room (didn't stop them having sex when the parents were out though :) ). They married several years later when he finished university and are still together nearly 30 years later.

I have no problem with him moving in but I think it's essential that he have his own room. The whole point of him moving in is to finish school and for that you need to focus on school work. I don't think that's possible if they share a room.
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 9:17 AM on Jul. 22, 2013

• This is extremely hard for me to answer because at 17 my boyfriend of 2 years Mom moved in with her Boyfriend and the boyfriend said her child couldn't come so she left him there in the apartment that was about to be kicked out of. So he moved in with us and finished his last year of High School. We have been together ever since.
    So while this happened for me, I would be really hard put to allow my kids bf/gf to move in unless it is an extreme case. So tough.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:22 AM on Jul. 22, 2013

• Personally, I couldn't do it. There are so many things that can go wrong here. First I wouldn't let any boy (or since I have sons, girl) sleep with them in my house, I'm just not comfortable with that. Second as others have said, what if they break up? Third, I have 3 sons, 17 is a pretty tough age. Getting them to follow rules is hard when they are yours, but nearly a year with someone else's teen in the house, it would have to be very special circumstances, and they wouldn't be my daughters boyfriend.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:26 AM on Jul. 22, 2013

• Room sharing is a horrible idea. Better to set aside a different are for him to make himself comfortable and then come up with some ground rules / contracts so everyone is on the same page as far as the rules and responsibilities go.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:22 PM on Jul. 22, 2013