Do you homeschool?

If so, how many hours of school work do your kids have and how many days per week? Do they get the summer off?

PandaGwen

Asked by PandaGwen at 10:02 AM on Jul. 22, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I use K12. We work for approximately 3-4 hours a day, 5 days a week.

Normally neither kid gets the summer off completely, whether they're in a brick & mortar school, or K12. This summer for my sanity we haven't done much educational stuff just because I needed a break for my sanity.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:06 AM on Jul. 22, 2013

• Yes, I homeschool.

We do take summers off, usually from about the Friday before Memorial Day until the Tuesday or Wednesday after Labor Day. We school 5 days a week, Monday through Friday. We spend 4-6 hours on our entire day, including instructional time and them completing work. Most of the time, it's 4 hours, but can be up to 6 if they're not in the mood to work and want to drag their feet. Some days, if the material being covered is easy for them to pick up and they work quickly, we'll even get done in less than 4 hours.

It takes less time to get through the day when you homeschool because #1, you're teaching 1 or 2 (or more if you have more kids) instead of 20+, so you don't have to constantly stop to quiet the class, make sure everyone is on the same page, understands, and so on. #2, you don't have to keep doing the same thing over and over to make sure the kid gets it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:06 AM on Jul. 22, 2013

• In public school, they might do worksheets on the same subject for weeks, because not everyone is ready to move on. At home, it's a matter of "ok, he gets it, moving on." Once I know he understands the material, I don't feel I need to beat him over the head with it.

Also, at home, I can work with them with their learning style. PS has to go with the lecture and worksheet method for the most part because it's the most effective way to teach a large group and assess their progress. At home, I have learned my kids are tactile learners, meaning they learn better by doing than reading, lectures, or worksheets. So I prepare my lessons around doing things to help them grasp concepts, skills, and facts, and that also helps us move along more quickly.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:09 AM on Jul. 22, 2013

• We homeschooled the younger 2 boys, who are now in college. I followed a traditional school schedule giving them the same days off and summer vacation as our school district. we also 'did school' on the same schedule as the school. The difference was that we got a lot more done between 8:30am and 3pm. If they had all of the work I'd scheduled finished on Thursday every Friday was a field trip day.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:20 AM on Jul. 22, 2013

• No. I am not qualified nor do I have the patience to homeschool. I like having them around other kids for the social aspects of it too.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:30 AM on Jul. 22, 2013

• I am starting this year. We are going to school M-F, not sure yet exactly how long it will take. Just depends on how fast we get through the material. We will take at least part of the summer off.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:39 AM on Jul. 22, 2013

• Hell no!!! I am not qualified to teach math or reading!! Now if all they had to study is science we'd be all set. Besides, they LOVE going to school and the schools in MA are ranked very high in the nation... number one last I checked. So I really don't NEED to home school. We would all go insane!!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:54 PM on Jul. 22, 2013

• What Crafty said. Except the part about science.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 3:24 PM on Jul. 22, 2013

• I'll be starting this coming school year. Our daughter will be 5, but she misses the district cutoff by 27 hrs. She's more than ready for school and wants to learn. So I figured I'd teach her myself since she'll be home anyway. We'll do M-F, but that may include field trips or errands. Any outing can be a learning opportunity, at least for my state.
    jenelle_trader

Answer by jenelle_trader at 7:38 PM on Jul. 22, 2013

• Yes, we do.

We are required by our state law to do at least 4 hours a day for 5 days a week.

We start the first of August and end in mid-May.

We do take the summer off... but continue to learn throughout our day. We believe that every day brings new things to learn and children will learn on their own, even while at play.
    Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 3:34 PM on Jul. 23, 2013