My 14 1/2 year old daughter has still not gotten her period. She feels out of place, and we are getting worried. I got mine at 12 1/2. Any advice?

yomama666

Asked by yomama666 at 12:54 PM on Jul. 22, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• TALK TO HER DOCTOR!! Period! (no pun intended)
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:55 PM on Jul. 22, 2013

• It comes when it comes. Hasn't she read "Are you there God, It's me, Margaret?"
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:56 PM on Jul. 22, 2013

• If you are worried then call her Ped or make an appointment for her to see your GYN.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:56 PM on Jul. 22, 2013

• Has she started to grow hair under arms, pubic region, is she getting breasts? I didn't start mine until age 15, but this would be a very good time to visit her doctor, to make sure she is in puberty.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 12:57 PM on Jul. 22, 2013

• take her to the doctor. my friend didn't get hers til she was 18
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:03 PM on Jul. 22, 2013

• I was almost 16. I wouldn't worry yet. What can a doctor do. It's just a matter of time.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:13 PM on Jul. 22, 2013

• 666 huh? any chance you'll be headed to the RD section next?!

Do what the other moms suggested, make a Dr. appt. for her. We are not medically trained & therefore, cannot answer medical questions.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:14 PM on Jul. 22, 2013

• I started menstruating at age 15. I have a good friend who started later than that; she thinks it's in part because she ran track and was really lean (skinny!) I was definitely developing, just didn't have my first period until 15.
    I agree that it happens when it happens & your daughter is within the range of normal. You could talk to her doctor about it (maybe literally talking first, by phone or email contact, rather than taking her in about it. Then schedule an appointment if your doctor doesn't just put your mind at ease about this.)
    I can tell you this. I have a family history of breast cancer (close female relative--sister) and I recently had a consult with an oncologist who was looking at my family history & personal history to feed it into a computer & assess my personal risk for breast cancer, and one of the things that significantly LOWERED my personal risk is that I started menstruating as late as I did.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 4:41 PM on Jul. 22, 2013

• She'll get her period soon enough and then spend the next forty years wishing it would go away.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:42 PM on Jul. 22, 2013

• its completely normal for girls not to get it until 18. if she still hasn't gotten it by 16 then maybe you should talk to a doctor but as for now 14 is too young to make a big fuss about.
    Ellie-lynn

Answer by Ellie-lynn at 7:04 PM on Jul. 22, 2013