Does this seem like it could be worded better?

http://www.king5.com/localnews/stories/NW_021809HEB-blacks-free-hiv-testing-TP.2b1c7155.html

Seriously, I can understand what they are doing here. But to honor black history month by "offering free HIV tests to blacks" seems like a HUGE slap in the face. Who uses the term "blacks?" Ugh

a_and_j_momma

Asked by a_and_j_momma at 2:50 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• The only thing I can see offensive about any of it is the headline, they could have just said free HIV testing instead of free HIV testing for Blacks, the rest of it seems pretty legit, I even looked up that day the National Black HIV/AIDS Awareness Day and its a real day so I can see why they would only offer testing to Black people, but at the same time why don't they have a day like that for White people or Asian or Hispanic, and even why not just gay people, hey maybe they do I just have never heard about it, but IMO I think if you single out any one group it can be considered offensive, that's why everyone should be either included in that one day or have their own days I guess

hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 3:30 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Considering it is a rising epidemic among the race I wouldnt complain. If one person gets tested and it keeps them from spreading aids then its a good thing. Who cares how its worded?
    Anonymous

• black is pc. not every black skinned person in America is African American
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 3:04 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• well i am guessing they mean well.... honestly i think its a good thing.... aids is at a staggering rate in the black community... back home in Baltimore City they said (for black people) the aids epidimic is 1 in 3....... thats crazy!!!!! and very scary
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 3:06 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I find the term "African American" to be non-inclusive and disrespectful. Not every person who is "black" originated from Africa. I have a good friend whose great-grandparents came to America from Jamaica and her entire family despises being called "African American." They have immense respect for their Jamaican roots and think it is racist to force people to assume every black person must have ancestors from Africa in order to be "PC." I agree with them. One of my best friends and her family are from Africa and have dual citizenship. They are ACTUALLY "African-American"...and they're WHITE :-) The so called "politically correct" terms we come up with are silly and end up being just as racist and non-inclusive as any other term we'd been using before. As for the line in the article, it would have been more tactful to have said "...offering free HIV tests to members of the black community" instead.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:14 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I do agree it is a good thing. But, I think it's a little tacky too. They should test everyone for free for say a week and not just for black history month saying it's in honor of "blacks."
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 3:15 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Wow, that is odd. Are they going to blame the 'Africans' /Blacks for AIDS, too? because of the strain of the Simian Immunodeficiency Virus found in the sooty mangabey (also known as the White-collared monkey), which is indigenous to western Africa???

Yikes.

How about 'free HIV tests for everyone this month?' What would be wrong with that?
    Trixiebelle2

Answer by Trixiebelle2 at 3:32 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• ""How about 'free HIV tests for everyone this month?' What would be wrong with that? ""

I totally agree with you!
    LilLizaJane

Answer by LilLizaJane at 3:48 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• anon, you are too funny.
    too bad it's the ederly who have the highest rate of hiv/aids infection.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 3:56 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

I totally agree with you!

i agree also, it sounds like they are trying to place the blame on blacks or something or saying that they are the cause of it getting spread. any one could have hiv/aids it does not discriminate at all.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 5:03 PM on Feb. 18, 2009