I so wish people would mind their own buisness sometimes...

Okay, it's not dark out, my five year old was sitting on the steps of my front porch drinking a juice box. My door is wide open and I am sitting next to the window, curtains open about 3 feet from my door watching him. He is in plain view, he listens really well so if I were to tell him to come back in he would. If he started to run down the side walk and I told him to come back he would. This older woman is walking her dog down the side walk in front of my house, she stops, comes up the walk way through my front yard, to my porch and asked my son where his parents were. He told her that mommy was inside. So she tells him, and I am watching this through my open window, able to hear everything, she says "Well, you shouldn't be out here by yourself. You back inside and if you want to come back out, tell your mommy to come out with you." He gets up and comes in and she turns to leave, he goes back to the door, opens it and stands in the doorway and she comes back to my porch, tells him to go back inside, then waits for him to come in and she turns and walks away. I was sitting here like wtf? Who does this woman think she is to tell my kid to come inside when I told him he can sit on the porch to drink his juice???
Seriously, would any of you be a bit upset if someone starting telling your kids what to do on your own property?

AnonNdrag

Asked by AnonNdrag at 8:50 PM on Jul. 22, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I wouldn't have said anything. If he were playing in the street then I might say something. If she was so damned concerned then why didn't she make sure you knew he was outside and let it go at that? I mean, you could have been laying on the floor in medical distress and all she is concerned about is telling your DS to not sit out on the front porch by himself? I know that's a bit of an exaggeration, but still, she should have gone to the source instead of trying to micromanage a child.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:47 PM on Jul. 22, 2013

• I'd have chimed in as soon as she tried to tell my child what to do. Something like, I'm right here watching him, now get OFF my property and mind your own business. The number expletives I'd use would directly correlate to my mood, and her tone with my child.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:58 PM on Jul. 22, 2013

• Your 5 yr old sitting on your porch? You bet I would be upset. If it was me, I would have stood in the door way and told my son that he can sit there and drink his juice. If she said anything further, I would tell her to mind her own business. I've got a bit of a mouth on me and DON'T like it when other people think they can butt into MY business.

IMO, she was WAY out of line!
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 8:58 PM on Jul. 22, 2013

• If she was trying to get him to go with her I would be mad. But it sound like she is trying (in her own way) to stop him from getting snatched up by some crazy. Some people are just trying to look out for one another. Parents now days don't even want you to look at their kids. Much less tell them to do something. Even if it is a good something.

Answer by louise2 at 8:57 PM on Jul. 22, 2013

• ^^ THIS
    I would have been all up in her shit!

However. I was cleaning my bathroom one day. DS was playing in the living room. Next thing I know some strange man is walking into my house holding DS by the hand asking, "Is this your kid"?

I freaked the fuck out. My kid had unlatched the screen and taken off down the street. The guy found him and brought him home, he was about 2 1/2.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:58 PM on Jul. 22, 2013

• I would not be upset I think cause we come up in a community where everyone looked out for other people's children. Sounds like her intentions were good, cause she just happen to see a child outside alone and was just making sure he was really not alone.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:05 PM on Jul. 22, 2013

• I don't think she meant any harm by it, just looking out for his best interest. But I would have let her know that he is allowed to seat on the porch and that he is in eye view but thank you for your concern. it's so much craziness going on in the world, people snatching kids, I understand why she told him to go inside. She probably thought he wasn't being supervised.
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 9:14 PM on Jul. 22, 2013

• Did you say anything to her?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:54 PM on Jul. 22, 2013

•  "she goes into this long thing about being a retired kindergarten teacher and missing her kids and knowing whats best for kids etc"

Oh, God! I have a neighbor like that. My son went to go to the play court and he was about to cross the parking lot when he saw her backing out. He stopped and then she stopped, so he waited and when she didn't move, he started crossing again. She got out and yelled at my son saying that he was daring her to hit him. I watched the whole thing from the bottom of the outside stairs. She gave this whole speech on how she was a retired teacher and she knows whats best. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:01 PM on Jul. 22, 2013

• I would have been upset only because it had the appearance of her questioning my parenting abilities. However, I would have said something right away, either from the window I was at, or at the door.

When my youngest two were in first and second grade they had some busy body scold them for petting a dog who was sitting near the school grounds. The problem with it was that I was just a few feet away and I had told them it was ok to pet the dog because we knew the dog! I strolled up to her and said, "Since when is it a bad thing to pet your neighbor's dog? They know the dog and he knows the kids. Maybe you should focus more on your brats who are about to run into the street." She got all huffy with me and then marched off to save her kids from the oncoming traffic.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:15 PM on Jul. 22, 2013