IS MY CHILD ENTITLED TO HIS FATHER BENEFITS SUCH AS MILITARY MONEY?

My son father made a statement that he is not putting my son on his benefits so I was wondering since I got his info can I do it

blackberry345

Asked by blackberry345 at 9:19 PM on Jul. 22, 2013 in General Parenting

• It's going to depend on a few factors. You will probably need to go to court to determine paternity. A judge will decide from there as far as child support. If the father does enroll the child in Deers, a judge will take that into consideration on determining child support. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:21 PM on Jul. 22, 2013

• Has paternity been established?
    From what I've heard, the military doesn't put up with that kind of attitude. If the child is his, he has no choice but to put the child on his benefits.
    I don't think you can do it, but if paternity has been established, you can talk to his commanding officer (sorry, I'm not in the military so I don't know the correct lingo)
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 9:34 PM on Jul. 22, 2013

• WHY ARE YOU YELLING?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:39 PM on Jul. 22, 2013

• Have you proven that it is indeed his child? What kind of money are you hoping to get? Is he paying child support?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:01 PM on Jul. 22, 2013

• You can't do anything at all whether you have his info.

Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:07 PM on Jul. 22, 2013

• You can't do anything. He doesn't have to name them as beneficiaries.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 10:21 PM on Jul. 22, 2013

• You need to go to court for child support and for any other type of benefits. You may need to prove that he is the father.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:05 PM on Jul. 22, 2013

• get proof its his child, then he will have to pay support, then when he dies social security will issue a check if the child is a minor other than that no your child is entitled to nothing more
    poppincorns

Answer by poppincorns at 1:05 AM on Jul. 23, 2013

• What kind of benefits are you referring to? If it's health insurance or child support, yes, he's entitled but you need to go through the proper procedures to make that happen - establish paternity (if you haven't already), then file in court for child support and ask that he also be required to provide health insurance.

If you're talking about a life insurance policy, no, your son isn't entitled to that. His father can list anyone he wants as the beneficiary and no judge will force him to change that just because you want it.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:35 AM on Jul. 23, 2013