How much formula is normal?

Our babies are 6 weeks old and already eating 5 ounces of formula at each feeding with very little spit up. After some feedings they still act hungry or are eating just a couple of hours later. Would you increase what you offer them by a half ounce or would you just stick to what we are offering now? I know breastfeeding is different, so I need to know how formula feedings go since that is the route we have chosen. Thanks alot!

mommystiebler

Asked by mommystiebler at 2:54 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My doctor told us that the average baby will take 2-3 ounces of formula per pound of boy weight per day. so at 10 pounds 20-30 ounces. Read your babies hunger ques as well, If they are still fussing 5 min after a feeding give another ounce. If he stops on his own before you feel he should be done don't force it he'll make it up at another meal. (My son would always cry for a few seconds after the bottle was done because it annoyed him to have to quit sucking not because he was hungry.) Most babies at six weeks are still feeding every 3.5-4 hours. I personally am not a fan of demand feeding. Mine were always on a wake-eat-play routine that was about a 3-4 hour rotation unless he was sick or in a growth spurt.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:12 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I would just feed on demand at that age. You may find they get the same amount of formula overall...but just go longer in between meals. I've read that if you multiply their weight x 2.5, that is approximately how many ounces of formula they should be taking in a day. (10 lb baby should be drinking 25 oz a day, etc.) Once their eating solids, normal amounts are between 24-36 oz a day.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:57 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Oh, I've also read that you should be making approximately 1 oz more than they would typically drink for each bottle. Once they've said they're done though...don't force it! =)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:58 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• You shouldn't go over 32 ounces a day so it really depends on how many times a day you feed them. My baby is now 6 months and he's been eating 5 ounces a meal for a few months already. He eats around 5 or 6 times a day. The older they get, the less formula you will give them, so if I give my 6 month old son 25 ounces a day, thats good. But for a 6 week old baby, I was always told that 32 ounces is good.
    Adina1224

Answer by Adina1224 at 2:58 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My son "OH LORD" he eats 42 oz a day he eats 7 times a day, 6oz at each n his almost 3 months so yeah, my doctor said let him eat what he wants there is no such thing as too much for a baby. As long as they are burping and usin the bathroom well. Then theres not a problem
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 3:13 PM on Feb. 18, 2009