I have a step son who is seven. He is unbearable to be around how to I make it easy for me and my boys?

He fights and yells at me. His mom and his dad see it all the time. It's so bad that my boys and I don't want to be around when he comes over. I'm pretty sure this is ruing my marriage.

Worriedmom78

Asked by Worriedmom78 at 12:49 AM on Jul. 23, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• counseling sounds good
    your husband should be stepping in and handling this, if he is not you have bigger issues than you think
    poppincorns

Answer by poppincorns at 12:53 AM on Jul. 23, 2013

• Does the seven-year-old live with you, or do you just see him now and then? What does your husband say about his behavior? How long have you been with your husband? How old are your boys? I'm just trying to get a sense of what all is going on because there's not really enough information to give a reasonable answer to your question beyond what Poppincorns already said.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:57 AM on Jul. 23, 2013

• You and his father have been married how long?
    Do you sit down and talk to each other about this?
    Does his father do anything at all?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:37 AM on Jul. 23, 2013

• Your husband has to handle this child. If he refuses, your problem is with him, not the child.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:32 AM on Jul. 23, 2013

• What is his dad doing about it?

Answer by louise2 at 7:49 AM on Jul. 23, 2013

• Your stepson is acting out because he is not getting what he needs in this new family dynamic. It is not easy to integate another child into a family situation like this. Family counseling could help tremendously. You might, at least, get some books on step parenting from your local library. GL
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 8:20 AM on Jul. 23, 2013

• Family counseling
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:21 AM on Jul. 23, 2013

• He's not adjusting to the new family situation. You are not his mother, that much he knows. Being tossed from house to house doesn't help either. The dad needs to help direct his behavior. Try a little sympathy and understanding. This is a hard thing for him to have to go through and he doesn't know why things are this way. Love him as you would your own. He needs time and patience.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:27 AM on Jul. 23, 2013

• silverthreads said it best. The boy is crying out for attention. Find a way to make him feel accepted. He will still have his bad days, but once you show him the love, those should lessen.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:33 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• There's not much you can do unless your DH steps up.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:38 PM on Jul. 23, 2013