What would you think of this person?

She is to herself never goes out of the house only if she is up to it. Don't want to meet anybody bc she prefers to be alone she feels once she meets people they might want to come visit and she is not in the mood for visitors so she rather just stay away from it all together.

She don't drink or smoke. She asks all kinds of questions if there was an event or celebration going on and she does not go, she wants to know all the smallest details so I tell her what I can but then it gets annoying so I have to be slightly rude and tell her why don't you get out and see for yourself.

She's no fun she's built walls and is not very educated I feel sorry for her but what can I do I have tried talking but all I get yes I know or yes your right. She blames this all on my dad that is why she is this way...yes ladies sadly this is my mom (they are both early 70's) and mom has held a very big grudge towards my dad. But hey at least they are still together and going strong. 50 years so far ;)
Is there really something I can do for her? Or just let her live her life?

Thanks for listening ;)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:22 AM on Jul. 23, 2013 in Relationships

• I think that at their age, they are set in their ways and the chances of them changing are slim. I would just let her live her life as she sees fit. Sorry, just my opinion.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 2:39 AM on Jul. 23, 2013

• It sounds like she could be depressed. I would talk to her and have her talk to her doctor if she is willing. If this is how she has been her whole life though it may be just the way she is and at that age it is going to be hard to change.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:10 AM on Jul. 23, 2013

• I thought you where talking about me for a minute. Tell you said they have been together 50 year.

Answer by louise2 at 7:37 AM on Jul. 23, 2013

• Agoraphobic depression if you could get her to talk to someone that would be good for her.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 8:00 AM on Jul. 23, 2013

• She is missing out on so much. It is not a good thing that they are still together IF that grudge is what keeps her isolated. Counseling could really help her.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 8:15 AM on Jul. 23, 2013

• I would think she's depressed about something. Old age can do that to you. it's hard to stay active if you haven't been active.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:50 AM on Jul. 23, 2013

• That's my mom too,minus the marriage thing
    Mine is depressed (and mean as a bear)

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:16 AM on Jul. 23, 2013

• She is depresssed. Hug her more, be there for her when she needs you.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:19 AM on Jul. 23, 2013

• Early 70s and she doesn't want to go party and drink and smoke? You're right, what a party pooper....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Jul. 23, 2013

• I agree with the ladies who said she sounds depressed. Agoraphobia might also be an issue and from the isolation of other people, not wanting them to visit etc..that could very well be aspergers syndrome. In her day and age people were not diagnosed with disorders like autism and aspergers but it does not mean that they still didn't exist. People who had such illnesses were just found to be a little strange or 'funny' as my grandmother used to say. I can remember when we had a mentally ill person on our street my grandmother would say "Oh stay away from them, they are sick in the head". People didn't know about mental illness the way that they do now and didn't have the services available that we have now. Most of the problems within someone's family was kept in the family, swept under the rug or locked in a spare room. As old as she is now, she may not want any help. Just love her, hug her and try to be patient.
    AnonNdrag

Answer by AnonNdrag at 9:41 AM on Jul. 23, 2013