'profiling' is a crime?

Don't police stations and the FBI have people they pay money good money to who's job, specifically, is to profile people?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Jul. 23, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• It depends on what you mean by "profiling." There's profiling, where you look at a black man and go "oh, he's going to rob me, rape me and kill me!" That's wrong.

But profiling, like they do on Criminal Minds, for example, isn't. They take a look at evidence - at proof of some crime that's been committed and the things they can infer from that. Like you can look at a bunch of paintings someone made that are all of bloody massacres, and from that, infer that he might be a bit obsessed with death. That's not profiling in the popular sense of the word where it's about skin color, that's a conclusion you're basing on something you can directly relate to that person. You're not assuming he's obsessed with death because he's (insert skin color here), but because he created a bunch of artwork that is all about death, so that's an insight (or potential insight) to his personality and thoughts.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:09 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• Did someone seriously just use the N word???

I hope admin removes this member permanently.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:10 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• Profiling is not illegal.
    We do something like it every day of your lives. We take in information and we process it. We make a judgment, whether it is about a shampoo or a situation or a person.

Can we please drop the Zimmerman references? He was acquitted. Leave him alone.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:12 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• I would love to profile serial killers. Not like Dr. volgal on Dexter I think she is a few can short of a six pack, but in general I would love to get inside a sociopaths mind and try to understand their way of thinking. I like to watch things like law and order and I try to see if I can solve the crime before the detectives can lol. It's really awesome, sometimes I am way off, other times I hit the nail on the head.
    AnonNdrag

Answer by AnonNdrag at 9:53 AM on Jul. 23, 2013

• he was profiling too when he said Zimmerman was a "creepy ass cracka"

It's not exactly profiling when Zimmerman WAS being creepy. Calling him a "cracka" may be racist but it's not "profiling".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Jul. 23, 2013

• I think it is natural to profile based on our experiences, be it right or wrong. If your experience has been that bikers are creepy rapists because that's what happened to you that's a logical conclusion even if its wrong. If statistically, the significantly smaller population of black males commit half the crime then it is logical to be aware. I think the evidence in the trial was that Zimmerman's neighborhood had been burglarized several times by black suspects. He had a nervous wife at home and he was the neighborhood watch captain. He felt he had cause for suspicion. Again right or wrong, I can see how he came to that conclusion. BTW, I don't agree with the president because he profiled white women! Just because he has noticed a white woman clutching her purse while being around him, a black male, doesn't mean she was afraid of him. If I'm alone and there is a strange man near, I may not be afraid, but I will be aware.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 12:01 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• How does the police and FBI catch anyone if they don't profile?  I agree with HHx5s statement. 

marymargret

Answer by marymargret at 12:26 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• Well,if you're referring to George Zimmerman,he's neither of those
    If you see someone of color and assume that they are "up to no good" based on just their skin color,not because they are actually DOING something,you're profiling them
    Trayvon was just walking down the street. He wasn't doing anything but Walking While Black

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:13 AM on Jul. 23, 2013

• Not in Arizona. And profiling is a word, it depends on how you're doing it that determines whether or not it is illegal.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 9:24 AM on Jul. 23, 2013

• What on earth are you talking about, or who are you talking about?
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 9:40 AM on Jul. 23, 2013