I'm not ready :(

So my twins just turned three and we have decided to put them in Preschool 3 days per week starting in the fall. Now I will admit that the last 3 years have been filled with ups and downs as being a SAHM has been much more difficult than I anticipated. I am even thinking of going back to work p/t on the days the boys are in school.

My question is, why am I feeling sad about this? There were/are days that I want to pull my hair out and run away. I thought I'd be happy to have some time for me again. What gives?

TALuke

Asked by TALuke at 12:16 PM on Jul. 23, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't know!
    the day my daughter started kindergarten was one of the happiest I had! WOOHOO...then when my son did, even better!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:17 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• It's probably because it's such a milestone. Once preschool starts they are no longer toddlers, they are preschoolers. :) Trust me you will be grateful for the time they are away to get things done, and maybe even do something for you! I joined a gym and went on the days dd was in preschool.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 12:24 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• IDK... I LOVED those 9 hours a week I had to myself! Shopping without the kids was AWESOME!!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:28 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• It is a natural part of the nurturing process
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:03 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• I cried when my oldest went to preschool and Kinder and probably will this year when he goes to 1st. It's not that I will miss him being home it's just that milestone, like my first baby is no longer a baby and it's sad for me. So far I haven't had any real time to myself because our second son was born 3 months before the oldest went to Kinder, and Preschool was only about 2 hours a day.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:08 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• I was the same way. You should have seen me at my son's pre-k graduation. I was balling like a baby.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:09 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• When my oldest son went to preschool I cried all the way to work...I think its because its a reminder that they are growing up. Its not easy (for some it obviously is) to leave your children in the care of others. I think what you are going through is very normal. Don't worry they will be fine and you will adjust!
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 1:15 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• It's just a mama thing. I went through it, too, and the first day my daughter went to preschool two days a week for half a day at three and a half, I was on the edge of my seat waiting for her to come back. But now I enjoy the time to myself.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:19 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• Awwww, I totally get it. My son is in preschool now getting ready for Kindergarten in the fall. Leading up to the day I was both excited and so anxious about him going. The first day I put him on the bus I was a total mess, I cried for half an hour on the living room floor, just didn't know what to do with myself. I missed him so much! The dog thought I was suicidal. Now we've found a flow (kind of) and when I put him on the bus I'm happy for him and so ready for some me time and at the same time I miss him the second before his little hand leaves mine. It's totally normal.
    LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 3:48 PM on Jul. 23, 2013