My kids are still young, I"m talking baby-toddler. I'm finding it shocking sometimes as I watch them grow. It makes me wonder how I'll handle it when they're all grown up and leave home.

How have you handled your kids growing up and moving on in their own lives?

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 2:59 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• It does break your heart when they leave. But the sadness is tempered with pride- that you have raised them to go out on their own, and with hopefulness for success in their futures. Sometimes I have thought that teenagers are so hard to get along with for a reason, it makes more ready for them to leave. But yeah, it is sad. And a new phase of your life, so you move on and turn your attention to yourself, what you like to do, what you want to learn, saving money for your vacations and your retirement. You'll never stop being the Mom, and you'll always be concerned about and loving your kids, but when they are on their own, you have your own time.

Answer by Bmat at 3:14 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• It was hard with my oldest. She moved out when she was 18 and had a baby, now shes engaged. Now though shes almost 20 and been away awhile. She comes over everyday and has even had to move back in for a couple months at one point. I actually enjoy her being on her own, seeing her be a mom, and basically a wife and making a life for herself. I get to see her use the things I taught her in real life and its a different kind of joy, then add grandkids and you dont know what youre missing.

Answer by gemgem at 3:01 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I have a soon to be 20 year old. I wouldn't spend my time thinking about when they are older. I enjoyed every year and every stage with our son. You grow along with them. When my son lived in another state for another year last year, I missed him tremendously. It is part of the growing process. So hug those little ones everyday and enjoy the moment!~
    Anonymous

• OMG--enjoy EVERY hectic day you have because one day you will miss the energy they bring:-) I always told myself I was raising them to leave me but I didn't know it would happen so fast:-( We home educated all through high school and now they are all independent, responsible, awesome adults. We never had the teen aged garbage so I never wanted them to hurry up and leave:-) On one hand I am so proud of them because they are not "needy adult children" but on the other hand--I miss being so involved in their lives:-) However, I have three great friends and we all still talk and share a lot:-) It is great to have raised three children into adults that have always been a joy to have around. BUT enjoy the hectic days when you wonder what in the heck you are doing this for--because the day will come that you will wish you could do it again:-)
    Ronnie80

Answer by Ronnie80 at 9:48 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Im glad you asked this question cause Im wondering the same thing. Im only 23 and my husband and I have one child so far who is a little over two years of age. I look at him every day and cant believe how big he is already. I even get sad thinking about him leaving me to go to kinderagarden lol so Im thinking about home schooling.Since Im a stay at home mom, we are very close to eachother and cant immagine it any other way.I would just enjoy every second with them cause they grow so fast.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 9:34 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Oh, I read your question and my heart melted! Bless you! My oldest is 22 years old, my youngest is 4!! When my oldest moved out for the first time, she was 18, I about died! She and I are SO close, she's my bestest friend. I walked around lost and lonely!! I was horrified, I had to hear her voice everyday or I'd be a basket case! After about 7 months, she moved back home. =D YEAH! THEN.....about 6 months ago, she moved out again. This time it is different. I realize that that is what I raised her to do, go out into the world and make an amazing print in this life. I'm not as neurotic either, but when I do hear her voice, it sounds like music to my ears and when I see her it's all joyous, soaking up every second with her. So, with my younger ones, that is what I have learned, to soak up every second of every day with your children. (continued)

blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 9:43 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• (continued) Don't sweat the small stuff, enjoy everything, love and adore them, take every chance to make every moment an awesome memory. They grow up so incredibly fast that when they are grown out on their own, you'll so miss even the times when they were throwing a fit or being disobedient!! Cherish all that life brings with your precious children! We almost lost our youngest, my fifth child, it makes every second even that much more of a treasure! Best to you Mom and sending you hugs!!
    blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 9:46 AM on Feb. 20, 2009