For those who have moved using a u haul truck, how did you pack it?

Any tips?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 1:14 PM on Jul. 23, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Heavy stuff on the bottom.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:18 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• Depends on the size, the larger the size the more careful you have to be about weight distribution. I drove a 17ft one over two mountain passes and over 300 miles.

Use all the floor space don't leave any spaces if you can help it as it helps to keep things from shifting around. I used some of the heavier items to hold other items in place. I put some heavy in front and some in back, tried to keep it even. We didn't have anything shift.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:18 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• Load your biggest items in first and use lots of blankets and rope to avoid damage during moving.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:19 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• I always pack the boxes to the back and stack them as best as I can. Then I will do furniture and anything that I fit in any space that is open. I will stand the beds up in the center and pack around them as well. If you have mirrors, put them between your matresses so you don't have to worry about them getting cracked. I still put a blanket under them though. Once you get everything in there, maybe get some tie straps to hold everything in place before closing the door.

Moving sucks and I try not to do it often. This will be the first time in 2 yrs that I haven't moved almost every yr... lol
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 1:20 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• Also, think about the way you'll need to UNLOAD. If the kids are going to need a few toys to keep them occupied, don't bury them in the back! You also don't want to have to climb over 100 boxes to get your heavy furniture in!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:21 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• Heaviest stuff in the front and what the others have said ^

Remember you can put stuff inside the washer and dryer.

Put the box of things you will need immediately in the front.

Forget moving plants, they never travel well esp. cross-country.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:22 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• heavy stuff *front end of the truck* nearest the cab.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:24 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• I pack all the boxes in first, in that little "attic" thing they have and then make a box wall in front of that attic, then move the furniture in, then outdoor stuff. I just had to do all this in Feb.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:26 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• It's kind of like a giant game of Tetris. If/when we have to move I usually let my husband pack the truck. He used to load/unload the UPS semi trucks.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:38 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• Tetris style.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 1:40 PM on Jul. 23, 2013