How do you handle neighbor kids?

We live in a complex so the neighbors are right next door. First it was the kid knocking on our back sliding door early in the morning(think I finally got the point across to him that our son will come out and play when he can, no need to knock).

Now it's asking for something to eat(granola bar, banana, juice box) or for my son to bring out toys, as soon as they start playing. It isn't that I mind doing it every once in a while but the kid asks everyday and will prompt and prompt my son to ask for items. In all honesty it is a bit annoying. Especially with the food as it isn't like he is over playing or a few houses down etc, he lives right next door lol.

So how do you handle the kids around you? And am I just getting overly annoyed about things that are no big deal?

tntmom1027

Asked by tntmom1027 at 1:46 PM on Jul. 23, 2013 in General Parenting

• Go talk to the parents

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:48 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• I find all of that annoying too. Just say NO.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:49 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• Stories like this make me so glad we have have pretty much the only kids in the neighborhood (there are 2 about 2 blocks away but they keep to themselves, and 1 neighbor has visitation of 2 but they usually go away when his kids are here).
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 1:55 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• The mother seems not to care as she is sitting on her patio half the time he does this. lol

But she also has a cat that is pregnant for a SECOND time and can't figure out how....except she didn't get her male cat neutured until a little over 2 mths after the cat gave birth the last time...perhaps she isn't the brightest crayon in the box?
    tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 1:59 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• I think my son is that annoying kid. He had the neighbor friend that was the annoying kid now I think he is the annoying one. But he runs over here and asks if he can have ____ for a snack or a drink. Or if he can go in the house. I have gone over and talked to the mom to make sure he is not being a nuisance but they say he is OK.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 2:00 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• We have a few moochers in our neighborhood too. I've ended up making my son aware that HE is the one responsible for telling them no. I also made sure to discuss manners with him so HE doesn't end up being the annoying kid.
    BeaverHouse

Answer by BeaverHouse at 2:00 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• Cassie: I'm not angry at the kid more annoyed. But it's not all the time, most of the time I don't let it bother me it's more the fact that I will say no or my son will say no and he keeps prompting him to ask again.

Beaverhouse: I'm doing the same thing with my son, he hasn't had much interaction like this in the past(wasn't any kids close by) so it is a learning curve. lol
    tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 2:04 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• I think you just have to set down some rules. Tell your Son this is what they are & no options. When they go out to play I would give them a pitcher of water, two cups & a snack. That's it. No asking for more. If the boy want's something else he has to ask his Mom.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:10 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• Oh, I would tell the Mom that you cannot be bothered constantly, that you have work to do & if they need anything else to help you out & provide it for them.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:12 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• a neighbor that lives 4 houses down has 5 kids and one of them ALWAYS asks if she can have a snack. first of all, they play outside with my kids, i rarely ever invite them in because they are CRAZY and destroy my house. IF it were a "real" playdate where they were actually invited over (rather than bombarding us the minute we go outside to play) then i would of course offer her food. but since it's 'informal' and she wasn't invited over to begin with, i tell her NO. it use to be hard but after dealing with their crap for over a year now, i have no problem telling them no. i tell her to go home if she wants to eat. again, that's only because they happened to come over while we were outside uninvited. she also thinks that just because my 6 year old goes inside to get something, that she gets to follow her. NO, you have to be invited by ME into MY house. this is an ongoing problem i have with them. NO NO NO lol
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:27 PM on Jul. 23, 2013