Are your kids scared of thunderstorms?

My dd (7) is terrified of them. My son (3), he could care less. Josie and one of our dogs, who is also scared, are curled up on the couch with a blanket. Sam is playing with his toys like nothing is happening.

josiesmommy00

Asked by josiesmommy00 at 2:34 PM on Jul. 23, 2013 in General Parenting

• Sorta...the thunder startles my son. Hope y'all are keeping your head above water. It seems like it's flooding everywhere.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 3:33 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• My kids love it. We've taken them out on the porch and watch the "fireworks" go off trying to make a game of where the next one will come from. First to 5 wins! Then it's inside for a treat.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:35 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• Not one bit! We open the shades/curtains and watch the show. It seems to energize the whole house!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:37 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• No, but we don't really ever have bad thunderstorms here. When we do they last only a few minutes then are mild again.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:39 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• Nope, they don't seem to faze him. He doesn't even notice.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 2:51 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• Both my five-year-old daughter and my teenage stepson are mildly nervous about them, particularly at night. I tell them thunder is just noise in the sky, nothing more. We had hail the other day, and my daughter was amazed. She said, "Mom, it's raining ice!"
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:52 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• Nope, but I am... Go figure.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 2:56 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• they are scared when the thunder is hugely loud, but other than that not as much. our house was struck by lightning not long ago and my 3 year old seems to have the most lingering fear of thunderstorms from that. my older two have gotten over it. we are about to get hit hard, i can hear thunder rumbling now and the sky is pitch black.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:15 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• No,he actually loves them

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:34 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• My kids aren't. My Golden Retriever is. I have to give him tranquilers from the vet.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 3:35 PM on Jul. 23, 2013