Background check

What is the longest you've ever had to wait for a background check to come back? I was recently hired at a new hospital, filled out the paperwork approving the background check last Thursday and it's still not back.

I have to have these things done all the time and I've NEVER had to wait longer than a couple of days before. HR at the hospital says that they got an email from the company saying that they were checking my addresses in Texas. I haven't lived there for 13 years. The paperwork I filled out asked me to list addresses for the last 7 years.

I was supposed to start tomorrow but cannot until this gets done so I'm curious as to what your experience has been

Mrs_Prissy

Asked by Mrs_Prissy at 3:24 PM on Jul. 23, 2013 in Money & Work

• it typically takes 2-3 business days, around here. perhaps the person who was suppose to submit the background check on Thursday did it late in the afternoon or waited until Friday morning, and then the weekend passed, and it wasn't ready by Monday. you should hear back by the end of today i would think, no later than tomorrow morning.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:27 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• At my company it usually takes 3 to 5 days.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 3:29 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• I actually did ask that. She said it went in Thursday afternoon and that they sent an email yesterday asking how much longer it would be. That's when they got the reply on the whole Texas thing.

The only thing HR said was that they've recently switched to another company and they are slow if you have more than one address or state of residence.

I'm just bored lol
    Mrs_Prissy

Comment by Mrs_Prissy (original poster) at 3:29 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• I had one that took 3 weeks when I applied for a state job.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 3:29 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• "At my company it usually takes 3 to 5 days"

Oh okay. So, assuming five business days it should be back tomorrow, I hope.
    Mrs_Prissy

Comment by Mrs_Prissy (original poster) at 3:30 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• "I had one that took 3 weeks when I applied for a state job."

ACK!
    Mrs_Prissy

• Was it late in the day on Thursday? If so, then it might not have been started until Friday.

I'm not sure how long I've had to wait before, but I know one place I worked, I had to go to the sheriff's department and get my background check done, and I had to pay for it myself. Pissed me off when I then got the job and discovered it sucked. lol
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 3:30 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• LOL @wendy. the same thing happened to me. it was a daycare job
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:31 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• " Pissed me off when I then got the job and discovered it sucked. lol"

Lol I had that happen when I worked for a nursing home. I had to get fingerprinted and a background check on my own dime. Worst. job. ever
    Mrs_Prissy

Comment by Mrs_Prissy (original poster) at 3:32 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• I am having a background check done for a job I was offered on an Air Force Base. I finished and submitted my paperwork almost a week and a half ago and just got an email asking for more information. So I'm guessing it's gonna take awhile.
    LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 3:39 PM on Jul. 23, 2013