Friends

I don't think I really have any because when I was in school I isolated myself from everyone because I was pregnant and my babys father always got mad when I ditched him. Anyways I dropped out after I had my baby and I still don't talk to anyone. I've been outta school for about a year now, I work full time, go home to take care of my daughter, and I'm 18. I am no longer with my babys father and haven't been since she was born which is 18 mos now. I was just wondering how I can make new friends?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:02 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Relationships

• Take the baby for a walk when you have off work. Frequently other moms will be walking their babies, too. You can smile and comment on her baby and if she seems interested in talking compare notes a bit. Don't come on too strong at first. Keep it light. After several times of walking the babies together, ask if she'd like to come over for some coffee and cookies. Other ideas are to be active in a church or volunteer group. Or try classes at the Y or college- sometimes there are Mommy and Me classes where the moms can meet other moms. You won't be friends with everyone you meet. See if among the other moms that you encounter if someone seems nice, and you like being around them. If they seem interested in talking, see if she'd be interested in catching a fast food lunch, for example, or meeting to walk on the weekends. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 3:07 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• making friends on here is a start too even if they dont live near you.i'm heather 24 from kentucky and i have one child feel free to look at my profile and send a invite
    alyssa1

Answer by alyssa1 at 3:27 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• There are places where young moms like you can go & meet each other. I know it can be hard to make other mommy friends at your age. I had my daughter when i was 19 (but i looked 12), & when i would take her to the library to meat other kids, some of the moms would just stare & look at me like i was crazy. So, it was hard for me to make friends too, i felt estranged from the yuppie mommies in my neighborhood. I do have more friends now though, i was just patient & eventually was able to make more time for myself now that my daughter is older. I will find out online about places for young mom's to meet. I think it's a great idea.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:30 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Girl, go get your GED or reenroll in high school if at all possible. Go on wel-fare if you have to. You can make friends there but the bigger issue now is you and your child's future. Do this while you are young. Good luck.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 3:41 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Join a church or league of some sort. Do you like sports? what about a gym? I agree go get your ged and meet people there to. Go to young mother meet ups. Visit the park on a regular basis a lot of moms do this. If you find your self getting to know mother one day be bold and ask if they come ther often and say you wll be back at the same time next week and will look for them! Get involved and try your hardest not to be shy.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:43 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• IDK where you are but you can add me as a friend on here if you want. I would be happy to talk anytime.
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 4:15 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Lol I already have my GED. I got it in Oct. and I have a full time job now but Idk how to meet people my age as mature as me. I did what I had to do to support my daughter but now thats she's more grown I wanted to meet new peple and make friends.
    Anonymous

• I'm glad to hear that you got your GED. Have you considered taking some college classes? I don't mean full time or anything just a class here and there to put on a resume. That would be another great way to meet new people with your same interest and better yourself. Also I did not mention before, check with your local community school or community center for little classes or meet ups. They have everything from sports to painting to sign language, just for fun. I always enjoyed doing Gymboree with my son. I was 24 at the time and the youngest mother in the class yet I still managed to make a great friend with a child my sons age. Anywhere you can get involved in something you enjoy will help you to meet people that have similar interest would be a good place to start. I agree this is a great place to start to! Nice to meet you.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:08 PM on Feb. 19, 2009