Help me convince my mother this isn't safe....

I'll try to make this short, but omg I want to scream.

Next week I'm meeting my mother half way between her house and mine so the kids can go spend time with her. She is insisting she is leaving her house at 2 am. She'd get to our meeting place at 6 am.

Well, I live in the mountains and can't see well enough at night to trust myself to drive over the dangerous mountain pass, not to mention the deer are horrible. I counted 20 dead on about a mile thru that pass today. So the option of me leaving in the middle of the night isn't possible.

I want to leave right at daylight which is around 7:30. Mother is throwing a tantrum saying she's just going to drive 7 hours here and turn around and go back 7 more. I told her I won't allow it because it's dangerous. What if she falls asleep with my kids in the car!!!!

How can I get her to understand that we can all meet around 10:30 or 11 instead of 6 am for safety reasons? Oh My God! She just texted me now saying how horrible I to her. She's pulling the damn guilt card.

Any advice ladies. I thought about getting a hotel room, but I don't have the funds right now. Ugh. Sorry so long.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:03 PM on Jul. 23, 2013 in Relationships

• Call it off

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:06 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• If she doesn't want to agree on what is safest, don't let the kids go at all.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 5:07 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• Say if you want to visit your grandchildren, please think of them instead of yourself, either we will meet at 11 am or they won't be coming. period.
    Explain you understand she is excited, but this is a no go as far as you and your husband are concerned.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 5:09 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• I agree with the others. I'd call it off if she can't be reasonable
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 5:09 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• That's crazy! Just let her come to you & stay for a few days at your home to spend time with the kids & then let her drive home. Otherwise let her pay for a hotel for you & the kids.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:10 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• I would really hate to do that..it would break the kids hearts. Why oh why can't she be reasonable?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:10 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• It's not the right time to do it then. No one needs to drive off a mountain or fall asleep at the wheel to visit with Grandma. Why meet in the middle why doesn't one of you drive straight to the other and stay a day or so?
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 5:11 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• I really get that the kids would be disappointed but you can't put them, or your mother at risk because she's being silly and unreasonable.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 5:13 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• If they really want to go, then why don't you take them there and drop them off and then have her do the vice versa on the return, that way she can see you and you can just tell her you got a "late start".
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 5:17 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• You're right, Prissy. Ya'll all are. I wish I had the time to take off work and take them myself. I guess I'll just tell her its off unless she agrees to my terms.

Ya'll know that uneasy feeling you get in the pit of your stomach....well I got it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:18 PM on Jul. 23, 2013