Age for braces?

Dentist said the B word today, but I was surprised because DS10 doesn't have all his adult teeth in yet. One of his friends has already had them for a few years.

Is it normal for them to go on so soon these days? I remember it being around jr high age when I was in school.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 5:16 PM on Jul. 23, 2013 in Kids' Health

• My daughter's friend is 8 and has had them for months now... it seems way too young! I'd imagine she still has plenty of baby teeth in there...
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 5:19 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• Yeah, my grandchildren (8 & 10) just got them and the dentist said the older one should have had them earlier. I know other young kids with them too. Things change so much over the years. I didn't get braces until I was 16!
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 5:22 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• Get a second OP, my DD had them at 10, and then at age 14 they want her to get them on the top AGAIN. I went to another orthodontist and he suggested a retainer for the top, and also said that is what should have been done in the first place.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 5:22 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• My son just turned 11 and we have been talking about them for years, he has a lot of crowding on the bottom as well as big gaps up top with some of them sticking out and sideways. He got his 3 months ago and the Herbst appliance that he will have to wear for 2 years to correct his jaw alignment. So no, 10 is not too young depending on how severe the case is.. Orthodontist told us, had we waited much longer his jaw would not be correctable unless they broke it :(
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:25 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• Get a second OP

We're not doing it yet anyway, it's not covered. They gave me a brochure that listed the payment plan, and at those prices, I'm thinking we'll wait til all his teeth are there first.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 5:26 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• When we had my stepson examined, the orthodontist said that braces are often recommended earlier these days, pretty much as soon as all of the adult teeth are in. He said the earlier the braces go on after the permanent teeth come in, the shorter time they have to be on and the more likely the teeth are to stay put when the work is all done.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:52 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• My dentist tried to do this with my son around age 9. I flat out told him no. Never did it and he's got great teeth.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 6:28 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• My son is 14 and was recently told he may need braces. He has two baby teeth that never came out and they think it will screw up his alignment when they come in. I can't believe they are putting braces on such young kids these days.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:35 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• I got braces at 9 yrs old, they were off by 12 & by 15 I had crooked teeth again because they were put on far too early.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 6:36 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• The dentist wants my 8 year old to see an orthodontist already. She hasn't lost most of her baby teeth.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 6:37 PM on Jul. 23, 2013