He has a thrush!

My 3 week old has thrush he has been prescribed some drops that will have to go in hos mouth somehow they will need to stay on the side of his mouth for a little while before he can swallow them. I don't know how I will be able to do that. Anyways from what I knownif he has a thrush that means that now my nipple has it aswell since I'm only breastfeeding I told her if she could prescribe something but she said that since he is getting treated I should be okay. Is this true or should I call my ob and ask her.

mylovelylife

Asked by mylovelylife at 5:49 PM on Jul. 23, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Typically we treat mom too. Give your OB a call.

Pediatrics isn't my gig so I'm not going to advise you on how to give the drops most effectively. If you feel you can trust your OB, give him/her a call this afternoon
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:03 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• Sadly they are closed already
    mylovelylife

Comment by mylovelylife (original poster) at 6:13 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• It's nothing that can't wait until morning but I wouldn't put it off any longer than that.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:24 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• Okay thank you if they werrnt to treat me his won't get better will it
    mylovelylife

Comment by mylovelylife (original poster) at 6:33 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 6:40 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• When my son had thrush around the same time He got treated as well as me. If I remember correctly I was to just give him the prescribed amount in his mouth without further instruction, but ask you doctor to clarify.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 7:17 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• His thrush isn't a full blown out one its just on his tongue. He doesn't have it on the roof of his mouth or sides. I asked the pharmacist right now what should I do since if he has it I probably have it too she said that I don't have it that sometimes the immune system just needs to build up which makes no sense they prescribed him nystosin I think thatsbwhat its called I read the paper and it said that I can put some on my nipples if theyre cracked but they aren't.
    mylovelylife

Comment by mylovelylife (original poster) at 7:37 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• I would call your OB. Back in my day both were treated.

And just FYI he has thrush not a thrush.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:25 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• Nystatin is what they gave him and I was under the impression they always treated mom too when nursing. My youngest and I fought it starting at 5 weeks old. It took 2 rounds of Nystatin for us both then a round of something stronger and finally the pharmacist recommended Genetian Violet when we went to fill the second round of the stronger antifungal. We tried genetian violet instead and while messy it worked great for us.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:58 PM on Jul. 24, 2013

• I just called the lactation office that we have here in our city and they said that his doctor pribably gave us enough for both she said I should put nystatin on my nipple and that it should be fine. She said if I don't notice a change to call his doctor and ask for aomething else I'm going to try this and if don't see a change on him I will for sure call his doctor and I heard that genetian violet works wonders aswell
    mylovelylife

Comment by mylovelylife (original poster) at 3:50 PM on Jul. 24, 2013