I really just want to give my son a time out EVERY time he whines...

My son is 6, and he whines about EVERYTHING. EVERY DAY. He whines about eating dinner, going to bed, taking baths, cleaning his toys, basically anything I ask him to do that he doesn't want to do. But I'm sooo sick of it. I know giving him a time out every time probably won't help, but I'd like try it just for a day to make him realize how much he actually does it. What are your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:47 PM on Jul. 23, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I send my daughter to her room is she begins whining.. I really can't stand it. It's not technically a ''time out''... but I let her know that nobody wants to hear it.

anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 6:50 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• Whining is a habit a lot of the time. So, anything you can do to get him to notice that he's doing it (a brief time out, paying you a penny, whatever) would be a good idea to me.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 6:52 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• I have a zero tolerance policy on whining... you NEVER get the thing you whine for and you get sent away (room, etc) from where ever I am if you don't stop as soon as I say stop. It's REALLY cut down on this issue!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 6:54 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• I've just instituted a system where my daughter has to pay me a penny for whining because, like Mrs_Prissy said, it's a habit and I want her to be aware of when she's doing it. I also sing the whining song whenever I hear it, which annoys my daughter and usually she'll stop whining just so I'll lay off the song.

There's a five dollar fine for whining!
    Oh, there's a five dollar fine for whining!
    Yeah, there's a five dollar fine for whining
    And you owe me about a million!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:12 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• I guess you can, but why not just tell him to "knock it off"? If he keeps it up then give him the time out.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 7:13 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• I agree with your thought to make him realize how often he does it. I think using time out to do that will make everyone miserable, even if it's just for a day. I would do something more like starting the day with a brief antiwhining pep talk and only responding to whining by marking a paper on the fridge every time he whines. Maybe see if he can keep the marks under a certain number he gets a small reward.
    In my own life I use the, "I don't speak whine, try again." It works on my 3yo, but maybe not on a six yo. GL
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 7:44 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• I make my son sit on his bed with the door closed until he stops. It definitely cuts down on the amount of time he whines. He's almost 4.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:30 PM on Jul. 23, 2013

• I see no harm in trying it, as long as you tell him why.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 8:37 PM on Jul. 23, 2013