How do you feel about your children's futures?

Do you push them to be successful money wise or do you push them to be whatever they want to be so long as they are happy? I guess what I am asking is that if your child said they wanted to be something that didn't need a degree of some sort, would you still support their job/career choice?

mamakirs

Asked by mamakirs at 3:05 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It's a tough one but a child needs to face reality.
    What if she wants to be an artist? Fine. But how will you eat? What money will you use to buy supplies, hire an agent, etc?
    What if she wants to be a world famous rock star (heaven forbid)? Again, what will you eat? Where will you live? How will you pay for the gas and motel rooms as you shelp from place to place playing in dinky little bars, hoping to be discovered?
    I hope to teach my child to dream, to reach for the stars. But she needs to know what to do to get there and how she will survive on the trip.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:59 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My son can be whatever he wants to be when he is older. I will definitly push him to go to college or tradeschool like his dad though!
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 3:08 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• well shoot not sure why I put this under politics and current events...dork!!

We plan on our children going to college....thus far my daughter wants to be an OB/GYN but my son wants to be a pro football player..like every other 12 year old..that or go into the air force. I was asking because I have family members who refuse to support my nieces and nephew if they don't get some sort of degree.. I kind of think that's sad.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:14 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I encourage my kids to get an education and to work smart, not hard. All I can do is encourage it and hope they learn I am trying to get them to do whats in their best interest because I dont want to ever see them suffer. I also want them to understand the same thing I did growing up, even though we come from an affluent family doesnt mean they will always have the things they want, theyll have to work for them and learn the value of a dollar like I did before they are given anything. If they choose a career that leads them down the path of poverty then its their choice but they wont come to me for a handout anymore then I went to my parents for one.

Answer by gemgem at 3:17 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I am totally going to push-support-going to college. I am the first to be graduating from college in my family. I see it as breaking a LONG cycle of poverty-among other things-in my family history.

I just hope that they appreciate what we do for them, it seems that a lot of kids these days think that they are to be given things. I hope to give them a sense of reward when earning something.

JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 3:24 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• If he wants to be a car mechanic, heck yes, I support him. If he wants to be a crack dealer because it makes him "happy," no. I would be happiest if he wanted to be an engineer of some kind. That little guy has some real skills in that area and he seems to like it. Good fit for his personality, too.
    Trixiebelle2

Answer by Trixiebelle2 at 3:25 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I tell my daughters that we live in a world where a woman pretty much has to have a degree to survive. From what I see, a man can work as a const work and bring home 300-400 dollars a week but a woman has trouble finding anything other than min wage w/ out a degree of some kind.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 3:38 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I hope to teach my child to dream, to reach for the stars. But she needs to know what to do to get there and how she will survive on the trip.

Now that is beautiful!!!
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 4:00 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I really do push my children towards college. My husband and I lead by example and are college educated ourselves. My oldest is very intelligent along with being very focused on his goals. He starts high school this fall and will be taking dual enrollment courses for college credit. His goal is to be a doctor which he is well aware of the hard work ahead of him. My 2 other boys, we encourage them to go to college, but I know one may not chose that route. He will likely go into an apprenticeship program or technical training of some sort. School is just really not his thing and I can accept that. He is only 10 but does not express any interest in a career goal yet other than basketball player. My daughter is very similar to our oldest. She is very advanced and loves to learn. She will likely go on to college too.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 4:00 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• college is not an option for my son, it is a MUST. even if he chooses to be a mechanic, or rock star, or professional athlete, he still needs at least an undergraduate degree from a good 4-year college. No one can every take education away from you. Unfortunately, my step-daughter lives with her real mom, so I have less influence on her.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 4:32 PM on Feb. 18, 2009